Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Steam In-House-Streaming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Dolphin Forums.
I've been a long time lurker but very recently decided to make an account just to share some cool new nifty things we can do with Steam's In-House-Streaming.

For a long time I have been playing NGC and WII games on my computer in HD (and sometimes in 3D)... just to re-play or play in HD.
However I've hated that if I wanted to play in my Den, on the couch, on my nice big TV, I would have to move my whole desktop out there, which would be a pain for just emulated console gaming.
But now with Valve's latest addition to Steam In-House-Streaming, my issue has been resolved.

I now use my laptop to stream from my desktop, into my den on my beautiful TV. NGC games in HD! Who would have thought?

If you've got a decent laptop/media pc and you have your gaming rig coop'd up in your room like me, all you need is a steam account.

As of right now (may/25/2014) In-House-Streaming is not enabled for "Non-steam" games yet. To fix this, enter the steam beta via "Steam>Settings>Account>Beta participation>Change".

Initially, in-house-streaming had already blown me away with its responsiveness and screen quality. I played through an entire campaign in l4d2, while streaming with In-House-Streaming, without a single hiccup. (mind you I have a gigabit switch between my laptop and my desktop).
Now what really gets me is the support between the two machines. Sitting in my den, with my xbox controller plugged into my laptop, I launched dolphin via In-House-Streaming and voila! Dolphin on my desktop, in my bedroom, properly uses the xbox360 controller input from my laptop. Wow!

How cool is that!?!
This has seriously changed my way of gaming alone. I'm going to be so much more comfortable playing emulated gamecube games in HD.

Now for the sad part... so far I haven't been able to get the Wiimote to work yet (connected to my laptop)
I'm no coder for dolphin, so I guess I've stopped here. I been able to try connecting my wiimote to my desktop via bluetooth and launching stream on my laptop- for the very reason that the wiimote just loses connection because I'm so far away from my desktop :(
Oh well.
This is pretty darn cool anyway- seriously neat stuff happening.

Specs of my PC's in case:
Desktop: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.7 GHZ, Nvidia GTX 660 ti, 8gb ram.
Laptop: Intel Core i7-2630QM @ 2.0 GHZ, Nvidia GT 555m, 6GB ram.

Thoughts?
Good? Bad? Am I wasting my time posting here?
(05-26-2014, 03:39 AM)Quicklime_Mistress Wrote: [ -> ]Now for the sad part... so far I haven't been able to get the Wiimote to work yet (connected to my laptop)

I almost want to suggest putting Dolphin on your laptop and then connecting the Wiimote just to see if it works, if that fails then there's always GolvePIE or something...

Anyhow, this information changes quite a lot of things for me as now I can continue dolphining to my hearts content in my room once everyone else in the household decides to go to sleep :x

CompuIves

(05-26-2014, 06:25 AM)TehGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-26-2014, 03:39 AM)Quicklime_Mistress Wrote: [ -> ]Now for the sad part... so far I haven't been able to get the Wiimote to work yet (connected to my laptop)

I almost want to suggest putting Dolphin on your laptop and then connecting the Wiimote just to see if it works, if that fails then there's always GolvePIE or something...

Anyhow, this information changes quite a lot of things for me as now I can continue dolphining to my hearts content in my room once everyone else in the household decides to go to sleep :x

I'm also struggling to connect the wiimote to my main PC using Steam Streaming. I've tried GlovePIE but I don't know how to make it work. Do you know how to set GlovePIE up?
(05-28-2014, 05:30 AM)CompuIves Wrote: [ -> ]I'm also struggling to connect the wiimote to my main PC using Steam Streaming. I've tried GlovePIE but I don't know how to make it work. Do you know how to set GlovePIE up?

Haven't used it yet, but I wouldn't worry about it. A friend of mine tried using GlovePIE on his media PC with a Wiimote, while streaming from his desktop and says it would't work, but connecting the controller to his desktop and streaming to his media pc worked fine (quite obviously). Basically the emulator just doesn't see the input from GlovePIE or Bluetooth controllers through steam streaming, as it seems.

hmm... I'm thinking xbox controllers have a special property here. I think Steam streaming actually properly sends xbox controller (err xinput.dll or whatever it is) through the stream, for the reason of playing xbox360 controller enabled games.

yyeeaahh! This actually makes a lot of sense.

Uhh.. so if you want to use Steam streaming with Dolphin, make sure you're using a 360 controller or a 360 controller emulator! Guess the only downside to that is no wii gaming. big bummer there.
Seeing as how non-steam game streaming is still beta, I'm hoping they change this somehow.
I suppose it'd be easier for Steam's streaming to only forward XInput commands and Keyboard/mouse commands, but it's not only XBox 360 pads which use that API. Also, when configured correctly (with PPJoy and everything) GlovePie should be able to map to XInput.
Yeah, probably. I'll guess fixing it to work with different controllers would cause more problems than fix.

(05-30-2014, 05:41 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, when configured correctly (with PPJoy and everything) GlovePie should be able to map to XInput.
Oh? Okay that's alright then.
But can you like.. force things like Wiimote input to be transferred through XInput via GlovePIE or something? (I don't actually know how XInput works)

also does GlovePIE have wiimotion+ functionality?

kepatti

After buying a HTPC I got intrigued by Steam's In-home streaming. Did you get Wiimote to work with it?
I wonder if you can get a Dolphin Bar to send the commands....
Gabe Newell occasionally responds to the more interesting emails his valvesoft address receives, so worst case scenario we could ask him really nicely if he could suggest it to someone. It'd probably break up the monotony of a constant barrage of 12-year-olds wanting attention from someone famous.

kepatti

I have been researching if I could bypass Steam and stream the commands separately, but I haven't found anything useful yet. At least nothing I could work with. I'm beginning to lean towards buying a 10-meter USB extension cable and Dolphin Bar.