Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is my Laptop good enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I've been tinkering with Dolphin 4.0 for 2 days now. I'm able to run Wind Waker at a mostly stable 30fps (with some stuttering) and on the lowest resolution which looks awful. Even Metroid Prime runs mostly fine. My problem is I'm spending a great deal of time messing with the settings to try and get Twilight Princess working decently. I'm just unsure my Laptop can handle it. I've downloaded throttlestop but to be quite honest I havent a clue how to work it. If anyone could help me out I'd be really greatful.

My specs are :

Windows 8 x64
Intel Core i5-3210M
8GB RAM
NViDiA GT 635M
Your laptop CAN'T handle TP. No laptop can. Actually, no desktop can, either. Right now, anyways.

It's weird that you would have trouble running Wind Waker at full speed, though, becuase I run it full speed on my piece of crap. Well, did, but let's not get into specifics there.

Try newer dev builds and tell me if Wind Waker stops being such a wanker in terms of performance, because, honestly, it should go full constantly on your computer.
I've now installed 4.0.2 and at a much higher resolution runs WW just fine. Twilight Princess does run at 30fps though slows down during cutscenes and theres some strange sound errors like a farting noise? Skies of Arcadia also runs like a slug through sand.. aside from WW am I going to able to play anything smoothly? Can anyone shed any light on this throttlestop program?
Well, I have Thousand Year Door, Wario Land: Shake It!, and Super Paper Mario, and those definitely ran* on my machine, so if you have them and feel like ripping them, your computer which is far more powerful than mine should be able to run them fine.

Really, that CPU should run a lot of games. So, just throw whatever library you have at it and hope they run well.
Thanks for the swift replies. I'll try a few more of my titles then..

One other question: are Wii games easier to emulate? Will my computer be able to run things like Xenoblade?
The wii has a small amount of differences from the GC that make games that use all of the features of it more demanding than games that use all of the features of the GC, but there shouldn't be much of a difference between the two platforms. But, Xenoblade, if I remember correctly, is a very demanding game. I'm not sure whether or not you'd be able to play it.
I've finally got both Metroid Prime and Zelda WW working at a decent speed and 1.5x native resolution! Skies of Arcadia Legends is a nightmare though. The best ive achieved is 24 - 25fps in opening cinematic but it crawls when there's a few character models on screen. Is it a demanding title?
(05-26-2014, 11:03 AM)Dogmeatius Wrote: [ -> ]Is it a demanding title?

Pretty demanding
Heh. I wouldnt have thought so to look at it! Well I've got it running 1.5x at 25fps mostly so I guess I'm just going to have to deal with the odd dip in frames here and there!