Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Should my laptop be good enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Aethec

Hi,

I'm trying to play some games on my Dell Vostro 3560 laptop, and the results aren't very good. Some games, like Super Smash Bros. Melee, run at 50-60 FPS most of the time with some annoying big drops randomly (mostly when there are many objects on screen, or when the level is big). Some games such as F-Zero GX are unplayable (<20 FPS).

I'd like to know if this is normal given my config, or if it could be improved with proper drivers. The reason I can't just install some new drivers and test is that most GPU drivers I've tried result in pretty bad problems, so I have to spend quite a lot of time getting back to a working state almost every time I try a new driver. If my laptop is supposed to be able to games smoothly, I don't mind spending hours finding drivers, but I don't want to waste my time if it can't.

Here are my specs:

Dolphin version: 4.0.2 (I also tried some nightlies)
CPU: i7-3612QM
GPU: Intel HD 4000 + AMD Radeon 7670M
RAM: 8 GB

The CPU is running at ~2.8 GHz / ~80 °C when playing games, while the AMD GPU's clock is at 600 MHz (default is 300, according to GPU-Z). The Windows power options are set to high performance, the switchable graphics option is on high performance for Dolphin, and I'm running at the native Gamecube resolution, no AA, no graphical improvements. Dolphin detects the GPU as the Intel one, but I assume that's because of the way switchable graphics work.

Could somebody please tell me if the performance I'm getting is normal or if it should be better?
Thanks.
F-Zero GX is sort of demanding, that CPU won´t cut it on some games. SSB games work better because they´re lightweight.

Try making a High Performance profile for Dolphin on the NVidia control panel.
(05-23-2014, 05:55 AM)Aethec Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I'm trying to play some games on my Dell Vostro 3560 laptop, and the results aren't very good. Some games, like Super Smash Bros. Melee, run at 50-60 FPS most of the time with some annoying big drops randomly (mostly when there are many objects on screen, or when the level is big). Some games such as F-Zero GX are unplayable (<20 FPS).

I'd like to know if this is normal given my config, or if it could be improved with proper drivers. The reason I can't just install some new drivers and test is that most GPU drivers I've tried result in pretty bad problems, so I have to spend quite a lot of time getting back to a working state almost every time I try a new driver. If my laptop is supposed to be able to games smoothly, I don't mind spending hours finding drivers, but I don't want to waste my time if it can't.

Here are my specs:

Dolphin version: 4.0.2 (I also tried some nightlies)
CPU: i7-3612QM
GPU: Intel HD 4000 + AMD Radeon 7670M
RAM: 8 GB

The CPU is running at ~2.8 GHz / ~80 °C when playing games, while the AMD GPU's clock is at 600 MHz (default is 300, according to GPU-Z). The Windows power options are set to high performance, the switchable graphics option is on high performance for Dolphin, and I'm running at the native Gamecube resolution, no AA, no graphical improvements. Dolphin detects the GPU as the Intel one, but I assume that's because of the way switchable graphics work.

Could somebody please tell me if the performance I'm getting is normal or if it should be better?
Thanks.

You need at least 3.4Ghz for Fzero-GX at full speed, and you need a better cooling for your CPU than what your DELL Vostro 3560 provides.
In fact you can forget about dolphin on laptops at full speed for demanding games short of using an Alienware or a Clevo (which allows to push the CPU further thanks to their proper cooling, other rigs tend to have the CPU throttle most of the time and can't maintain turbo boost speeds because of bad thermal dissipation issues.)

When cooled properly, you can actually push a laptop CPU further than its desktop counterpart (lower TDP per clock ratio, better binning, less heat...) the problem is most laptops do not provide a proper cooling for the CPU, that's also assuming you use a decent CPU revision (you'd at least need a 3820QM or 4800MQ, forget about the 36xxQM, they just don't clock/overclock high enough).

Aethec

(05-23-2014, 07:12 PM)mathieulh Wrote: [ -> ]You need at least 3.4Ghz for Fzero-GX at full speed, and you need a better cooling for your CPU than what your DELL Vostro 3560 provides.

Yeah, F-Zero isn't ever going to run smoothly. But what about games like Super Smash Bros. Melee or Starfox Assault? Is it possible to get to 60 FPS with my specs?
(05-23-2014, 07:16 PM)Aethec Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2014, 07:12 PM)mathieulh Wrote: [ -> ]You need at least 3.4Ghz for Fzero-GX at full speed, and you need a better cooling for your CPU than what your DELL Vostro 3560 provides.

Yeah, F-Zero isn't ever going to run smoothly. But what about games like Super Smash Bros. Melee or Starfox Assault? Is it possible to get to 60 FPS with my specs?

Super Smash Bros. might be possible to run at full speed (or close enough to 60fps), although you'd have better luck with games capped at 30fps (for instance, Zelda Wind Waker), no idea about Starfox as I never played this game, f-zero GX is just one (if not the most) of Gamecube's most demanding games as it is a 60fps racing game, you also can't use vsync or the game crashes, some people use the PAL version as a workaround so they can have it full speed at only 50fps.
For example, f-zero requires a better environment than Zelda Twilight Princess to run at full speed (except while in the Hyrule field).

Do not underestimate Dolphin's hardware requirements ! (especially on the CPU side)
Follow this guide to eke out as much performance as you can: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide

Aethec

(05-25-2014, 06:05 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Follow this guide to eke out as much performance as you can: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide

I couldn't get ThrottleStop to force 2 cores, but it gave me an idea: disable 2 cores in msconfig (i.e. set the number of cores to 4, since it includes HyperThreading). Now Fire Emblem plays at a constant 60 FPS! The CPU is at 90 °C, though. Is that bad?
Really bad , it will slowly kill your laptop components . Your GPU solder joints (solder balls) may melt first . You need to reapply aftermarket thermal compound , either IC diamond 7 carat or Arctic MX-4 will do
Btw you don't have to force 2 cores . Just get Turbo Boost higher with Throttlestop but in this case your laptop overheats . So throttlestop couldn't help you unless you fixed the overheating issue
Of course! (Unless your CPU has a high TJunction). Anyway, in cases like that that means to get some new and good quality thermal paste.