Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Lag
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Smashichu

For some reason it just keeps lagging on me and I can't figure out what's going on.

Operating System: Windows 7 64
Processor/CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.4 GHz
Video Card/GPU: NVidia GeForce 210
Memory/RAM: 6GB
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 4.0
Dolphin requires high performance computers, and yours is very outdated at this point. It lags because it needs more processing power. Your GPU is also on the very, very low end, and would cause problems even if you upgraded the CPU.

Smashichu

(05-19-2014, 11:07 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin requires high performance computers, and yours is very outdated at this point. It lags because it needs more processing power. Your GPU is also on the very, very low end, and would cause problems even if you upgraded the CPU.

So if I went out an spent $200 on a new GPU would that help? It says it recommends dual core and I have a quad core. So I don't see how my cpu is outdated.
You do realize new dualcore CPUs are exponentially more powerful than old quadcore CPUs, right?

please read the FAQ at https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/ it has a benchmark showing how CPUs stack up to one another.

Changing just the GPU probably won't do much for you, honestly, both of the core components of your computer are fairly weak, unfortunately.
Everything JMC47 said is true. Out of curiosity, what games are you attempting to play?
Try running older revisions. Newer ones suck for performance. Keep in mind your CPU is still outdated, but older revisions can help a lot if you have no way to upgrade.
3.5 is sometimes slower than 4.0 due to being bloated/unoptimized. In very popular games, maybe you should try 3.0? Some of them will work? See if that's more playable.
While you're free to use older builds, please don't forget that we don't support anything older than 4.0.2 on the forums. 3.5 should be pretty stable and fast, but the later 3.5-xxx builds leading up to 4.0 tended to get slower. Also give the latest development revisions a shot as well, since they're faster than 4.0 and 3.5 in many cases.