Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: JAP > NTSC-J
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-wh...s-like-jap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

This was closed so .. as it is politically incorrect

Fix the political incorrectness with technical correctness

NTSC-J
NTSC-U
PAL
EDIT 2022: This post does not reflect my current views on the matter. The backwards compatibility issues still stand and make such a change tricky.

Oh ffs, stop being stupid. JAP is a perfectly valid abbreviation for "Japanese", and we're not going to break compatibility with the last 5 years of Dolphin just to make a few easily offendable people happy. People will always find reasons to be offended. We've got .USA and .EUR, we're not going to put .NTSC-J instead of .JAP. End of the discussion.
It's used as a valid abbreviation in Dolphin, not an ethnic slur. There is no anti-japanese sentiment attached to it whatsoever. If any Japanese users feel offended (like admin89), they can voice their opinions about the matter.
And they haven't. It's just been a couple of people saying others might get offended. I'm sure changing it is just as likely to cause the people with cause to feel offended to feel more ostracised as they're having the opinions of others forced upon them regardless of their own opinion.
I'd actually think that using .USA would be more offensive to, you know, USA-disliking Canadians like myself, but I don't see any issue with the abbreviations, even though the emulator IS blanket-referring to me as an American. Really, I don't know why anyone would be offended by this stuff, other than taking "offense" in the intent of starting some shit.
This is going nowhere and will go nowhere.

Closed.
I stated this in the previous thread, and I think it's worth mentioning here as well.

The code for the first American GameCube is DOL-001(USA). A code like that is on the bottom of every American GameCube. So what is the Japanese equivalent? DOL-001(JAP). Yes, a Japanese company used JAP as a shortening for Japan on product made in Japan by Japanese people.

Dolphin is simply using JAP where Nintendo used JAP. If you have a problem with it, talk to Nintendo.