Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Game Banners and Titles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello forum readers,

I recently have downloaded some iso patches to create a Mario Kart Fun iso out of your own Mario Kart iso. Now I have successfully created iso's but in Dolphin they all appear as Mario Kart Wii, which means I don't know which one is Mario Kart Fun and which one is the orginial (and which one is Mario Kart Retro etc.). I have seen a thread for changing those titles before, but a second question is whether it is possible to change the banners too, just to make it less boring to look at. Smile

Any suggestions are very welcome. Thanks a lot!
The banners and titled/info for Wii games are actually taken from the save files instead of the games themselves, which means you will need to make the save file ID different from the standard Mario Kart Wii if they aren't already and then replace the image used in the save file. This requires a few modifications to the ISO. I'm actually trying to do this myself, but haven't been able to do it successfully yet. If anyone has more knowledge on how to do this that would be great, as I know it's possible.

If not I'll just have to play around with Wiimms ISO Tools until I figure it out. Tongue
The first step would be to modify the game ID right at the start of the .iso with a hex editor. I'm pretty sure this is what Dolphin uses to decide where to save etc. and hence it'll be the way to make it not think everything's the same game.
Changing the game ID is easy, but that's unfortunatley not enough. Smile
Ok, yet I have some New Mario Bros. Wii mods that have been given another ID (you mean the 6-letter-number-code right?), but also show up with exact the same title and banner as New Super Mario Bros. Wii itself (for example New Super Mario Bros. Wii 2 - The Next Levels), while others like Newer and Super Mario Bros 3+ show up with different titles and different banners than the orginial Smile. If I am not mistaken Mario Kart Dragon Road (not the best mod for Mario Kart, but I still wanted to try it) also has another ID, but shows up exactly the same as the orginial Mario Kart Wii iso.

So I think I already have different ID, so there should be more. Tell me Big Grin
Perhaps there is someone who did this successfully? Would be nice to see a step by step tutorial Wink

Ok forum readers,

after some research I found that the information I want to change is located inside banner.bin, which can be found in C:\Users\****\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Wii\title\00010000. Every game has it's own folder with two folders in it, banner.bin file is located in the data folder. Sometimes a .sav file is located there, which can tell me from which game the banner.bin file came.

Now all I need to know is how to extract the banner.bin file and change some of its contents. (Then repack and replace it and I'm done).
Please tell me how. Big Grin

(05-19-2014, 07:29 PM)410172 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok forum readers,

after some research I found that the information I want to change is located inside banner.bin, which can be found in C:\Users\****\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Wii\title\00010000.

I don't know how to edit banner.bin but editing it won't produce the effect you want... Regular Mario Kart Wii also uses the same banner file, so, even if you change the image here, it'll change in all Mario Kart games. You need to edit the ISO so it uses a different TitleID (that way it would get it's own banner.bin and save data), but doing that probably isn't easy as it involve messing around with the disc contents...
Editing the save file itself is just a band aid fix anyway, I'd rather modify the ISO in such a way that the save file it creates doesn't have to be edited at all.
Ok, the ISO must told to use a different ID so that it creates it own banner.bin file and save data. Do you also know how?
Perhaps it is useless information, but in the setup of iso patching I chose a seperate savegame for Mario Kart Fun. It does not share the same with the orginial Mario Kart Wii (otherwise I still be playing with King Boo inside his white Dragonetti limousine <3 Big Grin)
(05-20-2014, 01:16 AM)410172 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, the ISO must told to use a different ID so that it creates it own banner.bin file and save data. Do you also know how?

Unfortunately, no, I don't...

There's a plenty of documentation in WiiBrew, it may help you figuring out how...
Pages: 1 2