Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: ZTP speed hack?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I noticed neo brain just for some reason removed it in revision 4.0-614, Why in the world did this happened?
It hardly effects the minimap and I get about a good 15 fps increase. hyrule field is a nightmare, and faron woods is pretty sluggish without this on.
Because it's a hack and not a proper solution to emulating LoZ: TP and Hyrule Field accurately and at decent speeds. I believe neobrain said that actually having the hack around makes it so that the developers never feel the need to look into real solutions instead of shortcuts. In the short-term it makes LoZ:TP impossible to run some spots even on the best hardware. In the long run, hopefully Dolphin will do whatever the hack did better and faster down the road and in a way that reflects how the GC/Wii hardware actually works.
(05-18-2014, 02:48 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Because it's a hack and not a proper solution to emulating LoZ: TP and Hyrule Field accurately and at decent speeds. I believe neobrain said that actually having the hack around makes it so that the developers never feel the need to look into real solutions instead of shortcuts. In the short-term it makes LoZ:TP impossible to run some spots even on the best hardware. In the long run, hopefully Dolphin will do whatever the hack did better and faster down the road and in a way that reflects how the GC/Wii hardware actually works.
Wait what?
Quote: actually having the hack around makes it so that the developers never feel the need to look into real solutions instead of shortcuts
Until a proper fix is made, why remove this workaround? Don't tell me nobody is going to find a real solution. If you want real accuracy stick with the software renderer.
purpasmart96 Wrote:Wait what?

What about what? It's a hack. It does things in such a way that does not reflect accurate emulation (though it is fast). The goal is to be both fast and accurate in the future.

purpasmart96 Wrote:Until a proper fix is made, why remove this workaround? Don't tell me nobody is going to find a real solution. If you want real accuracy stick with the software renderer.

Like I said, having a workaround present brings less incentives for the developers themselves to work on a real solution. This has been stated by a developer himself, so he pretty much knows what he's talking about. Now that people are aware that nothing can run LoZ:TP fullspeed in every scenario of the game, there's more pressure on the dev team to work on something that's not a hack. No one is forcing you to use builds past 4.0-614 for this game. Until a proper solution comes, just stick to an older revision that works for you.
Quote:No one is forcing you to use builds past 4.0-614 for this game. Until a proper solution comes, just stick to an older revision that works for you.
Yeah, ok But Some new fixes are present in the newer builds
, such as tev fixes, and custom texture fixes, ect, if dolphin would compile without errors I probably wouldn't be bothering you guys.
It's not an all or nothing deal, just don't use newer revisions for LoZ:TP :p There aren't many things changes that really affect that game, so it's safe to use an older revision if your goal is run that game as fast as you can, and then use the latest for everything else.
uh... synchronous HLE audio for zelda ucode games?
HLE audio was already pretty flawless in LoZ:TP, from my testing though (some people still had issues, but a minority from what I understand). Wind Waker definitely sees a benefit though.
Actually the ZtP hack was removed because not only was it a hack, but mainly because it was a hack that finally got in the way of something the developers wanted to implement. Hence why it was removed then.
Isn't there actually something in the works that would help with Hyrule Field? https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-co...3d-backend
Pages: 1 2 3