Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: concerning development versions of Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I find it rather difficult to choose a good, stable version of Dolphin out of the development releases (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this). I think it is absolutely FANTASTIC that the work never stops and sometimes multiple version a day are released, but when is the right time to update? Could someone tell me which version is considered "pretty stable and smooth" at this moment; without any crazy, gamebreaking openGL,D3D bugs of weird experimental stuff? Wink

I know I can just download 4.0.2, but it's relatively old already and I'm sure a better version is out there.

Keep up the great work you guys, I love this emu!
There's nothing game breaking in latest revisions to my knowledge.
You really need to be in the thick of it to know when something major breaks. But honestly, when something big happens it's usually fixed right away. Especially now that the devs have improved their code review policies. It's save to stay up to date at all times now, more or less. Besides, worst case scenario is that you download something that has a bad error, and you jump back a few revisions and it doesn't have it. Who cares?
Thanks for your responses.

I thought to have read something about openGL being a lot slower now than it was before; I guess because of the vertex hack being removes - but I don't have Nvidia, so don't care.

And that performance had taken a huge impact the last 6 months or so, because of Dolphin becoming more accurate = more horsepower needed. Any truth in that?

Is there a version you can recommend which is nicely balanced; performance/accuracy wise?
Latest revisions are actually faster than most of the 4.0+ revisions. OpenGL did not get slower because of hte Vertex Streaming Hack removal, NVIDIA just added a real feature that invalidated hte need for a hack.
Thanks for the info.

Though, I've tried the lastest Dolphin-x64_4.0-1569 and games run less smooth than Dolphin-x64_4.0-156. Mario Kart Wii for example is choppy, no matter the settings. I'll try some more and then maybe open a topic in the "support" section Smile
There is no need to ask if there are lots of known issues in the current development build. They usually are fixed quite soon after they got known. The unknown issue are the bad ones Wink So just try it if you want and report regressions if you find any.

For performance, current dev builds are mostly faster on the cpu, but require a faster gpu. But as long as you have _any_ gaming gpu, you won't notice. Just don't play on 4xIR + SSAA Wink