Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Computer made for Up to 4 Player experience
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anyone help me with a build to play Mario Kart Wii, SSBB and Mario Kart Double Dash? I already have the ram for the build and I'm going to sell a few parts from a build I scrapped.

Please don't recommend a i5-4670k build. I'm not going that route but I may later as I get spending money.
(05-16-2014, 10:47 AM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone help me with a build to play Mario Kart Wii, SSBB and Mario Kart Double Dash? I already have the ram for the build and I'm going to sell a few parts from a build I scrapped.

Please don't recommend a i5-4670k build. I'm not going that route but I may later as I get spending money.

Post a budget first..
I recommend a 4670K build. Because you'd have be to crazy to spend a bunch of money on a crap build now and spend even more money again later when you could just buy the right thing now and keep it for years. If you can't afford a 4670K build right now, just WAIT, save your money until you can, and then buy a 4670K.
DatKid20 Wrote:Please don't recommend a i5-4670k build.

An i7-4770K should be right up your alley then. Hey, I'm just doing what you asked...

In all seriousness 4-player gameplay can turn even so-so and not so demanding games into power-hungry games. An i3-4130 should have no issue with Brawl, but I'm less confident about Double Dash, and pessimistic about MK Wii. I would not recommend anything that is 1) not Haswell or better, and 2) not overclockable if you want to guarantee that you'll get no slowdowns (at least noticeable ones) during your 4 player sessions. If you really don't want an i5-4670K, just wait until the Pentium Anniversary CPU comes out.

There's also the matter of the GPU. Brawl and Double Dash are pushovers as it concerns how demanding they are on the GPU. MKWii, not so much. What IR + AA do you ideally want to play at?
I'm looking to be able to play at about 720p in SSBB. The Mario Karts are less important.
i3 4130 will run SSBB full speed easy
For 720p, you could chose just about any dedicated GPU you can get your hands on, and it'll do it what you want. No need to make a fuss over that component.

If Brawl is your main focus, and the MKs less so, an i3-4130 will do (some slowdowns will still be present in MK Wii mainly), and the Pentium Anniversary will do whatever you need it to do, most likely. So take your pick. For a price difference of < $20, you could bump it up to an i3-4330 for an extra 100MHz and a stronger IGP (which will definitely do SSBB at 720P, shouldn't have trouble with MK Wii, at least not often). Not bad if you ask me.