Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: TEV Debugger
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How difficult would it be to implement a TEV debugger?
I think it would be useful to homebrew devs if they could easily debug their TEV operations to ensure they're doing what they expect them to do.
However as a programmer myself, I understand that it's one thing to suggest something but something else entirely to actually do it. And since I have very little knowledge of TEV I'm unable to do so myself, otherwise I'd provide my own patches.
I'm not sure if it allow messing with TEV, but we have FIFO player, it may be useful...
That is useful, and I was aware of it, but hadn't realized it was part of dolphin. I was under the assumption it was a separate tool.
However it's not live, and you can't see it happen realtime, you have to play a bit while recording the FIFO then play it back.
I usually debug such issues with any gfx debugger (eg apitrace, nsight, ...). You'll see the results of every draw call, but the intermediate result of each TEV step is still hidden :/

I'd like such a full featured gfx debugger in dolphin, but I think it will be much too big.
That's what I was afraid of, it wouldn't be worth the effort if only a few would use it would it? If only I knew more about TEV, I'd do my own implementation and have it available on github. If you have any notes or resources on that I'd greatly appreciate it, it would also help me understand Metroid Prime's material implementations.