Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 2-3 year old laptop, will it run it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have the Asus N53SV SZ016V laptop which has the following specs:

CPU Intel i7 2630QM @ 2.00 Ghz
RAM 6GB DDR 3 @ 665 Mhz
GPU Nvidia Geforce GT540M with driver version 335.23

It has an Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD too (upgraded it myself) but I don't think that matters too much except for loading times.

I run both Windows 7 x64 and Ubuntu 14.04 x64.

My desktop at home runs it without any problems, but I would like to be able to play games on the way.
Will this laptop be able to run Dolphin, and if so which OS will get the most performance (i'm guessing Windows here)?
2670QM here runs quite a few games pretty well; but you won't stand a chance on especially demanding ones. It will run Dolphin though. You may wanna downgrade NVIDIA drivers to 332 to avoid the OGL crashes.
2.0GHz is too slow for Dolphin . Doesn't matter if you have an i7 or not
Turbo Boost will help it run faster (2.8GHz) if your laptop doesn't overheat .
Here is the guide that will guide you how to max out your laptop performance :
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide
However ...
Since you have a multi-media laptop . There is no doubt it will overheat when you use both dedicated GPU and CPU
If laptop overheat , CPU and GPU will throttle and you will lose performance by a lot
Ooh well that is too bad.
But I guess I can still improve my overall performance with that guide then.

Thanks for your answers!
You should be fine on most games, get a cooler as that will help you maintain TB for longer.
Quote:get a cooler as that will help you maintain TB for longer.
Laptop Cooling Pads are all Snake Oil ...
(05-16-2014, 01:20 PM)Oemenia Wrote: [ -> ]You should be fine on most games, get a cooler as that will help you maintain TB for longer.

It seems that those cooling pads cool on the bottom, while my laptop actually doesn't generate any heat except for on the left side.
Every bit of heat comes out there, so will those cooling pads even work?
Those cooling pad only be useful for aluminum laptop . Even on aluminum laptop , I only see it run 5C cooler at best (1~5C) . Most laptops are made of plastic....
Like I said , it's snake oil . Mobile CPU need :
_Heat pipe that attached to CPU directly to dissipate the heat . Indirect method like cooling pad won't work . I tried and most reliable sites proved it (P.M Linus Sebastian then you'll see)
_Thermal compound / Thermal Paste . Stock / OEM thermal compound is crap (even if you have a MacBook) , its life span is usually 6 months->2 years . Aftermarket thermal compound replacement is recommended . For Example , Arctic MX-4 can last 8 years . If thermal compound die , you laptop temps will skyrocket like crazy