Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Performance from Pentium G3240/ Radeon 5850 build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Pentium is a dual core @ 3.1 GHz, and is thus far my favorite choice.

I'm also looking at a i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz. I have an i5-4430 (turbo to 3.2GHz) lying around that I wasn't intending to use for this machine, but could if persuaded.

This will be for playing Mario Kart, SSB, other multiplayer games with friends, and the Zelda games.

My first question is what kind of performance can I expect out of the Pentium for the purpose I mentioned above? I'd like to play at 1080p @ steady 40 fps min.

Can I expect a significant increase in performance for the i3 and if so, would it make a difference for the games I mentioned?

Lastly, core vs core, the i5 is slower than the i3. However, it also has the extra cores Dolphin would need to utilize all 3 threads. Is there a big difference in i3 vs i5 performance, or Pentium vs i5 performance?
Intel will release unlocked Anniversary Pentium Haswell in this summer . If you could wait then ...
Pair it with Z87 mobo and GTX 750 , you will have better performance than your current CPU (i5 4430)
Since Pentium Nehalem (1st gen) can overclock past 4.0GHz (4.2GHz is possible) . I wouldn't expect Anniversary Pentium Haswell (4th gen) to be anything less