Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i7-4770R... Thoughts?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ephrisian

I'm thinking about purchasing a computer to use for Dolphin and PCSX2 and I'm considering the Hexa I from iBuyPower. It doesn't include the a dedicated GPU, just the onboard Iris 5200.

Price comes in just a bit over $1100 after tax and shipping.

My other options are as follows:

1. Tower - Self-built with the i7-4790, not the K since I don't plan on over-clocking. This would run with a GTX-750 for Skyrim and such. Pricing: 1000$
2. Tower - iBuyPower Revolt with the same CPU but this time over-clocked and water cooled. Pricing: 1400$
3. Laptop - Picking up an MSI Gaming laptop, probably an Apache with the GTX860m with i7-4700HQ. Pricing: 1400$
4. Laptop - Getting the y510p with i7-4700MQ running the GT-755M SLI. Pricing: 1300$

I'm focusing myself on the i7 chips, but I did read in another thread that the i7 doesn't help with Dolphin since you can't use the hyper threading functions. Does it make sense to pick up an i5 instead or will Dolphin eventually take advantage of the i7?

Another piece of information I'm curious about is the impact of RAM on Dolphin and PCSX2.

Lastly, for those of you that are this far in the post you've probably noticed that the budget is close to 1500$. However I'd actually like to keep it closer to 1000$. I saw a Self-Built thread with an i5 that brought it in around 900$ but I'm hesitant to spend that money and end up trying to play Skyward Sword or Watch Dogs and end up disappointed.
$1100 for i7 4770R + Intel HD 5200 which is on par with GT 640 ? It's too expensive .
You can get a very compact PC for $400~500 less
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GB-BXi7-4...B00HWP6CMG
Dolphin is a dual core application ... See Dolphin Benchmark here
For desktop , i5 4670k + MSI Z87 G45 is the best combo for Dolphin atm . You must overclock i5 4670k (4.2GHz~)
For Laptop , i7 4700MQ is the best bang for buck CPU atm . Dolphin doesn't support Hyperthreading , Dual CPU , Dual GPU , SLI , Crossfire . A powerful single GPU is the best , you should get latest GPU (GTX 8xxM) . Keep in mind that laptop ain't as strong as desktop in both processing power and dissipating heat , i7 4700MQ is still a bit slower than i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz . In fact , most non-gaming enthusiast class laptops will overheat if you run Dolphin on them
Quote: Another piece of information I'm curious about is the impact of RAM on Dolphin and PCSX2.
Quote: I saw a Self-Built thread with an i5 that brought it in around 900$ but I'm hesitant to spend that money and end up trying to play Skyward Sword or Watch Dogs and end up disappointed
I say $700 is more than enough unless you desperately need to run Dolphin at 4k resolution (need a powerful GPU)
Ram doesn't matter . Focus on CPU and GPU power then you're good to go
admin89 Wrote:Watch "How to build your PC" or sth like that via youtube then you're good to go
Supply : Microcenter Store
Intel HD 4600 is good enough for 2.5x Internal Resolution (1600x1320) , no AA , 16x Anisotropic Filters in most games (It has been tested and verified) . You can add a graphic card later if you want (Recommend : EVGA GTX 750 , it must be EVGA due to their durability )
i5 4670k (190$)
MSI Z87 G45 Gaming mobo (150$)
WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm (60$)
Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHz(60$)
EVGA 600W PSU 80 Plus Bronze (65$)
Thermaltake Commander Snow Edition with USB 3.0 port(48$)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (37$)
IC Diamond 7 Carat thermal paste (7$) (Search "how to apply thermal paste" via youtube)
Total cost : 617USD
Optional : EVGA GTX 750 Superclocked Version (140$)
Building your own PC will yield the best results, and you won't spend as much either. Go for an i5 4670k with a Z87 mobo. For Dolphin alone, you'll do well with that + 4GB RAM and a GTX 750 Ti. If you want to do modern gaming as well, go for 8GB RAM and a GTX 760 or higher (depending on your needs). You could make a great build with an i5 4670k and a GTX 770 for about $1200.

ephrisian

I did some research on the i7-4770R and it looks like they added a stronger onboard GPU for compact systems which explains a bit. However at the price point of ~700-900 it didn't make sense. I do appreciate the link to the GB Compact though.

Based on the information you guys provided and the use for this particular machine I priced it out on Amazon since Micro Center doesn't ship all those parts and there isn't a store in Washington. I came out at $846 with Prime and I can have the parts here and a system built by this weekend!

However... I have a follow up question which is mostly about preference.

Is there a shelf-top case available that can hold these parts? I'd like to put the computer in the living room to run it off the TV and use it as my entertainment center/console.

If need be, I can substitute the Cooler Master for a water cooling system, perhaps the H55 Corsair

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-serie...cpu-cooler

I'm looking at possibly the dm-387 for my needs

http://www.apextechusa.com/products.asp?pID=144

NOTE: Further research into the case showed that the Mobo and Power Supply won't work. That idea is scratched.
There are plenty of Mini-ATX and Micro ITX Z87 motherboards which will allow you to overclock a 4670K without issue, and you can also get ITX power supplies if you can't find a small case you like which fits normal ATX ones. The only major bottleneck of a small case is the cooling and what GPU you can fit (there are small-form-factor GTX 750 Tis, but anything much more powerful usually only comes in full-size cards).

Additionally, I'm pretty sure Newegg will be better than Amazon as long as you're in the US.
(05-13-2014, 08:25 AM)ephrisian Wrote: [ -> ]I'm thinking about purchasing a computer to use for Dolphin and PCSX2 and I'm considering the Hexa I from iBuyPower. It doesn't include the a dedicated GPU, just the onboard Iris 5200.

Price comes in just a bit over $1100 after tax and shipping.

My other options are as follows:

1. Tower - Self-built with the i7-4790, not the K since I don't plan on over-clocking. This would run with a GTX-750 for Skyrim and such. Pricing: 1000$
2. Tower - iBuyPower Revolt with the same CPU but this time over-clocked and water cooled. Pricing: 1400$
3. Laptop - Picking up an MSI Gaming laptop, probably an Apache with the GTX860m with i7-4700HQ. Pricing: 1400$
4. Laptop - Getting the y510p with i7-4700MQ running the GT-755M SLI. Pricing: 1300$

I'm focusing myself on the i7 chips, but I did read in another thread that the i7 doesn't help with Dolphin since you can't use the hyper threading functions. Does it make sense to pick up an i5 instead or will Dolphin eventually take advantage of the i7?

Another piece of information I'm curious about is the impact of RAM on Dolphin and PCSX2.

Lastly, for those of you that are this far in the post you've probably noticed that the budget is close to 1500$. However I'd actually like to keep it closer to 1000$. I saw a Self-Built thread with an i5 that brought it in around 900$ but I'm hesitant to spend that money and end up trying to play Skyward Sword or Watch Dogs and end up disappointed.

Out of all of those? I feel like you should go with Option 2... If you're opting for something that is going to stay put. Overclocking helps with overall performance in Dolphin. Or if you want something small to move around, definitely option 3... The performance on all would be adequate, but 2 and 3 give you more headroom, and one is a portable option.

ephrisian

For anyone wondering what the outcome of this post was... I purchased option 5. An off the self computer from Best Buy.

ASUS M51ADhttp://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-essenti...Id=3026586

I also ended up making a video showing my gameplay experience using an actual Wiimote with the Motion Plus accessory. I haven't overclocked the CPU, or done anything really... other than move all of my emulator files over to the internal HDD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4TO87RH...redirect=1
Quote:I haven't overclocked the CPU, or done anything really
You can't do anything . That machine doesn't support overclocking (i7 4770 + H87 mobo ....Seriously ) , it's overpriced utter crap . Did you think an OEM manufacturer would be fool enough to let you break their products ?

ephrisian

(05-17-2014, 07:59 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I haven't overclocked the CPU, or done anything really
You can't do anything . That machine doesn't support overclocking (i7 4770 + H87 mobo ....Seriously ) , it's overpriced utter crap . Did you think an OEM manufacturer would be fool enough to let you break their products ?

Actually, I knew it was locked, only the K models can be overclocked. But for the deal I got and the performance I'm getting it worked out perfectly.