Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Having issues running my games..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

MaxY

Hey guys! so ive got Metroid Prime 2 echos, LoZ collectors edition, and LoZTP...
my current PC is-
AMD 3.8GHZ quad core (4200)
12gb ram
GTX N770
windows 8.1 x64
now, im shocked at this.. my games are not running very smooth... currently i run every game at highest setting, but not dolphin.
i cant even really play the games... especially LOZTP, it drops to about 17fps.
any thing any one can do to help me fix this issue would be awesome!
ive messed around with all the settings, and nothing i do seems to work for me..
Twilight Princess is very demanding, and your computer s very weak (AMD FX4200 is a very bad processor for IPC, which Dolphin needs as much of as it can get.)

Emulators are not like normal computer games, emulators require good CPUs, while most games require good GPUs. So the fact you can run other games don't mean anything in the realm of emulation.

MaxY

sorry its an AMD FX 4300 quad core, but thats still seems to be much of a difference.... thanks for the advice! but my metroid prime runs great tho
i guess it makes sense as to why my i7 laptop was able to run LOZTP better than my PC... guess im getting a new mob and CPU!! haha
Protip: go for an i5-4670K and a Z87 'board (and, if you don't get those exact items, do enough goddamn research to know what's compatible and comparable). You may need to overclock to get certain games to run at full speed, and Dolphin's requirements may increase in the future, so it's a good idea to get something you can overclock – note the "K" in 4670K that indicates it's overclockable, and note that you can't overclock it on a 'board that's not a Z87 or higher.
Quote: AMD FX 4300 quad core
It's not a true quad core . It's much slower than a normal Quad Core . Look at its pricing , don't you think why it's so cheap compared to a regular quad core CPU from Intel ? Why AMD has to use multi-cores CPU (FX-6xxx or FX-8xxx : 6~8 cores) to fight with Quad core CPU from Intel !
The design of the chip is based on the Piledriver architecture, which consists of so-called modules. Each of the two modules integrates 2 integer units, but only one FPU
To make it easier to understand , It's like a dual core with Intel Hyperthreading crap
Combine all 8 cores , FX-8350 beats i5 4670k (4 cores) but AMD CPU - performance per core is much slower
Dolphin is a dual core application . So higher single threaded performance CPU is better for Dolphin
Base on Dolphin Benchmark , even an OCed FX-8350 @ 5.0GHz can't beat i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz
i3 4130 is fast but not so fast for some demanding games . Just saying....