Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Should I be able to get 60 FPS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Burufokkusu34

Hey folks just wondering if I should be able to get 60 FPS on Starfox Adventures on my rig.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 190T Black Edition
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked
RAM: 8GB @ 2133MHz
SSD: 256GB Samsung Evo Pro SSD
PSU: 850 Watt bronze certified.

For some reason all I can get with this set up is 30-50 frames/second, is this because I have AMD instead of intel CPU? It is really annoying because of the audio video lag. If you guys could give me any help that would be much appreciated.
If you want more FPS then you should overclock your CPU
Unlike SF Assault , SF Adventures is a demanding game . Your CPU is just too old
Dolphin is a dual core application ... So you get the point
AMD or Intel CPU isn't a problem here . If you had an outdated Intel CPU like Intel Core 2 Quad , it wouldn't run Dolphin well
For most games , you will need a CPU that is equivalent to i3 4130 in single threaded benchmark . Apparently , there is no AMD CPU can compete with that i3 atm (even if you had FX-8350 @ 5.0GHz)
For some very demanding games , you will need i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz or higher + MSI Z87 G45 (mobo support overclocking)
Base on Dolphin Benchmark , i3 4130 is twice as fast as your CPU in Dolphin

Burufokkusu34

Now I know that Intel has the upper hand on single thread performance but at the time (4 years ago) when I built this computer I didn't have the money to go Intel and I wasn't really planning on playing Dolphin (didn't even know it existed until a few years ago). It just seems like I used to have it at 60 FPS when I had my EVGA GTX 460 2win. I know that this emulator seems to be much more CPU intensive rather than GPU like most things. But I would still think that even the 1090T should be able to handle this game at 60 FPS. It seems there used to be an option for multi-threading somewhere in the options in Dolphin that I can't find in version 4.0. Did they get rid of it or make it a default setting, or would that not really increase performance?
4.0 is slow compared to the latest development builds and older builds like 3.5 and 3.0. If you upgraded (or downgraded) to 4.0, you're going to take a performance hit. If you're using an extremely old build of Dolphin and coming to 4.0, you're not going to get good performance because 4.0 is more demanding than previous versions before it. The latest development builds tend to be faster than 4.0, 3.5, and 3.0, so you would do yourself a great favor and use those: https://dolphin-emu.org/download

Dolphin has a dual-core option is that's what you're looking for. It is enabled by default. If you're talking about the OpenMP option, it should still be available in 4.0, but it's more placebo than anything except in a limited number of cases.

Burufokkusu34

So if I understand what you are saying, correct me if I don't, is that I should rollback to version 3.5 or so and I will get a performance increase? What is it that make version 4.0 so much more demanding? I am currently running version 4.0-1546. I see a version 4.0.2 on the main dolphin website is that version any better than the current one I have, or is the 3.5 version still better? I have also tried version 3.5-1282 and still come up with the same results as far as only having 30-50 FPS during the cut scenes.
The latest version should be the fastest
Quote:What is it that make version 4.0 so much more demanding?

Chiefly the increases to emulator accuracy (taking more steps to emulate the GC/Wii hardware better) but without the optimizations that have since been made in 4.0-xxxx development builds.

Quote:I have also tried version 3.5-1282 and still come up with the same results as far as only having 30-50 FPS during the cut scenes.

Unless you use an exceedingly old, outdated, and unsupported build, your hardware is still very unlikely to get fullspeed consistently. From time to time, 60 FPS will be possible on your hardware, but not all the time.

Burufokkusu34

So I guess here is my hopefully my final question, is there if any emulator version or settings configuration that will grant me near 60 fps during cut scenes on Starfox Adventures.