Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin with SSD/HDD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are there any differences between using Dolphin with an SSD over HDD?

I was wondering because I play Super Smash Bros Brawl only at the moment, and I get a sort of mini crash between loading different parts of the game. I'm talking about like, connecting to Wi-Fi which stops my audio for a few seconds, then after that time sounds like fast forwarding a tape as it plays all of the music that I just missed very fast at a rather high pitch. It sounds pretty ugly.

More examples are going from character select to stage select, but the worse is the results screen after a game.

So I was wondering if SSD can handle load time better, either faster or more stable so it doesn't cause the audio to mess up a bit.

I mean it's still playable, I have 100% VPS in Brawl even with this laptop, just the loading makes the audio a bit messed up.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.
It won't make any difference.
For instance,even putting the ISOs onto a RAMDisk won't make a difference.
Cheers, I guess there isn't anything I can do. My laptop is probably just too meh to load things perfectly.
Any title using .vff files to store content will greatly improve in SSD when loading/saving. The most noticeable is creating a new save file in SSBB or in some N64 VC titles (like Paper Mario 64). When running Dolphin in HDD the FPS will suffer a huge slow down (FPS 0 -2) while the save file is being created (and that can take around 5 minutes in some cases) and later on you may get micro stutters while saving (at least in SSBB). I'm not sure, but the stutter you're getting when you connect to Nintendo WFC in SSBB maybe related to that too...
Get a SSD ! Not just for Dolphin , a SSD can give you a whole new experience that you won't go back to HDD again (as boot drive ofc)
So far I have not noticed any difference in performance with or without my SSD. I can recommend one though.
There's a noticeable improvement for save states, since they can be pretty massive. That's about it though.