Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [UNOFFICIAL] Dolphiilution :: Riivolution for Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Dolphiilution
the big font is to test how well your anti aliasing works (lololol)

[Image: 0p6d3kr]
Hi,

not so long I have created this program which parses a Riivolution XML and is able to "patch" ISO's. Writing the ISO's however was really slow, so I decided to use StapleButter's Dolphin trick to make everything a little faster. So basicly, it works like this:

1. Select the folder containing all of your games.
  2. Load your Riivolution folder. This could be a real SD card you use for your Wii, but mimicking the exact same file structure on your SSD hard drive will work as well.
  3. Before you can patch a game, you must decompile it first. WIT is used to achieve this.
  4. After the game is decompiled, you can select the right XML file from the list and edit each individual item like you would in Riivolution.
  5. After "Patch" is pressed, the program will copy all the necessary files from the 'SD' to the path where the game is decompiled (gamesfolder\rii\game).
  6. You select the path where your Dolphin emulator is (Dolphin.exe).
  7. Press 'Play'. The program will now apply SB's trick and copy the dol and apploader of the game to the game's root, then edits Dolphin's settings to make it work. WIT is used to check if the game id of the current game matches the last one you played. If not, the save file of the last game you played will be stored safely and the save file from your other game will be restored. (== you have seperate save files from your normal ISO's).
  8. Magic.
[Image: 0rtv6ic]

Sources
Web version now also available.

Thank you for reading!
- Anthe
Seems pretty cool, honestly. I'll see how it works when I have a bit more time.
I definitely want this.

I yet found iso patchers for mods for New Super Mario Bros Wii and Mario Kart Wii, but not for Super Mario Galaxy 2.5 . I am definitely gonna play Galaxy 2.5 on Dolphin with this program. Yet I could get those files from Galaxy 2.5 in the iso; but having one iso for every mod I find would have my hard disk drive full in a few hours so.
I wonder if this program will decrease the amount of crashes I experience when playing mods on Dolphin.

Good luck. Please let me know when you share the link.
(05-04-2014, 09:25 PM)410172 Wrote: [ -> ]Yet I could get those files from Galaxy 2.5 in the iso; but having one iso for every mod I find would have my hard disk drive full in a few hours so.
I wonder if this program will decrease the amount of crashes I experience when playing mods on Dolphin.
I must disappoint you, it will require the same amount of hardware space as it would with a patched ISO. As far as I know there is no way to do on the fly patching with Dolphin (future release hint hint hint?).
Why will it require as much space as a Wii iso? I have Riivolution on my Wii and Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii takes about 976 MB on the SD card, while an patched iso would take 4.37 GB. Quite a difference. Or is this program actually a patcher?

Perhaps a stupid question, but what exactly do you mean with on the fly patching?
Let me explain again how it works:
1. ISO > extracted ISO files
2. (for example) Newer SMBWii Files > (overwrite) extracted ISO files
3. launch extracted ISO files (without packing the ISO)

Basicly you're just creating a copy of that 4.4GB ISO but extracting it for easy access.

Riivolution works 'on the fly', loading the necessary files only in its memory when they are needed.
I have no clue how that works.

The program is indeed a patcher, but a rather fast one.
Ok. But if it is not necessary to pack the iso again, it won't take 4.4 GB space. Super Mario Bros Wii is when extracted 350 MB, Mario Kart Wii is 2,60 GB. Especially having those Mario Bros mods then with 350 MB each instead of 4.4 GB; would be very nice. Big Grin

Will working on the fly make it faster then, when only necessary files are loaded into the memory?

We'll wait and see. Smile
Nice job Anthe. You can keep this thread here, General Discussion is fine. Marked as unofficial (standard operating procedure). Keep up the good work Smile
(05-05-2014, 02:34 AM)410172 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok. But if it is not necessary to pack the iso again, it won't take 4.4 GB space. Super Mario Bros Wii is when extracted 350 MB, Mario Kart Wii is 2,60 GB. Especially having those Mario Bros mods then with 350 MB each instead of 4.4 GB; would be very nice. Big Grin

Will working on the fly make it faster then, when only necessary files are loaded into the memory?

We'll wait and see. Smile
Ah, yes, good to see they'll take up less space.
On the fly is something I will not be able to pull of simply because Dolplhin does not support it (nor does WIT).

Also, thank you Shonumi.
(I didn't find anything about double posting in the forum rules, so I assume it is okay to bump a thread as long as it's useful)

I found that Dolphiilution boots and acts normal in Wine, but I haven't really tested if it is working properly since I can't seem to map my network drive to my server (with all my games on it). I guess if I make some changes to it, it could possibly run. Anyway, I'm going to focus on Windows development first as soon as my exams are over. Ubuntu will follow later.

(Also, my Linux machine is an Intel Atom netbook with 1GB of RAM, so I don't think I'm going to torture it by putting Dolphin on the thing)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6