Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: No More Heroes 2: Release-Specific Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Azba

Hello everyone, these problems have finally defeated me so I have decided to turn to the forums.

I am playing No More Heroes 2, and have searched the forums only to find issues that aren't the ones I'm having.
So first off, the game runs great - I haven't had the "QTEs don't work" or cutscene audio/video desync issues, which is nice.
However, I have been having a few small issues which are different per version I have used, and solving them for either version would be nice.

DOLPHIN 3.0 or 3.5 official release:
-Runs at 28-30 fps (55-60 VPS), which is good.
-I have to use the speedhack found on these forums for decent FPS with this version (or I don't and I have it set up wrong)
-Crashes at random during anything, not just out and about in the city. Seems this is the fault of the speedhack, but again FPS issues if I do not use it (down to 16fps in battles)
-Toggling, experimenting with and otherwise messing with any and all options config, game config, or graphics either makes the game worse and/or does not fix the freezes.

DOLPHIN 4.0, 4.0.2 Official, or 4.0 Rev1487:
-Runs consistently at 30 fps (60 VPS), which is excellent.
-No speedhack necessary.
-Does not freeze, which is great.
-4.0 and 4.0.2 have audio desync and crackling, Rev1487 was better about this, audio backend doesn't seem to change anything.
-Most glaring issue: cutscenes and some city scenes fail to load their textures, leaving only the lighting effects. Sometimes textures will appear when the camera changes, but disappear when it changes again. See example attached. Also tried messing with the free camera to see if it was just the angle, but it was not.
-Toggled all graphics options to no avail.

Important PC Specs:
ASUS Nvidia GTX-760
AMD FX-6300 3.50 GHz
RAM 2x4GB G.skill Ares
Windows 8.1 64bit

Game is No More Heroes 2 NTFS, ID: RUYE41
I am playing the game via emulated classic controller, for which I am using a PS3 controller via DS3Tool. I do not have a nunchuk controller for this game.

If anyone can help me solve the issues I am having with either version(s) of Dolphin, I would be very grateful.
Attached is a screenshot of my config, graphics, and game config options at present in 4.X

Aside from that, the game runs perfectly fine in the 4.X variants, it would just be nice if there was a way to fix my lack of textures in cutscenes.
If you need more info, I'll be happy to provide.
Also GPU drivers are up to date, all windows updates have been run etc.
Try using OpenGL.

Azba

(05-02-2014, 10:21 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Try using OpenGL.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I did try OpenGL and messed with the settings some.
No, fps hit or quality hit but still the issue with the lack of textures.
Sorry, oversight that should've been in the first post.

Here's the same scene in OpenGL, not very different:
http://puu.sh/8w1yh.jpg

Some more notes:
*Quality settings under graphics make no difference (e.g. setting internal resolution, anisotropy and anti-aliasing to defaults do nothing, ditto for whatever higher settings)
*Screen resolution also does not make a difference, neither does fullscreen/windowed or V-sync.
*Figured it might be a bad dump, but it had the same issue the second time around.
*Tried JITIL just in case, did not solve anything.
You may want to record a fifolog (check the dolphin wiki as to how it works) in between camera angles so we can see the textures disappear and return. Thanks!

If you do that, we can compile an issue report on the issue tracker fairly easily.

Azba

(05-02-2014, 11:05 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]You may want to record a fifolog (check the dolphin wiki as to how it works) in between camera angles so we can see the textures disappear and return. Thanks!

If you do that, we can compile an issue report on the issue tracker fairly easily.

It appears this issue may go deeper than I initially thought.
I tried to start a new game with a cutscene in mind and the intro cutscene did this: http://puu.sh/8w3QG.png
I'll see if I can run it through 3.X to get to a save point before the flickering cutscene occured, move it over to 4.X and record a log.

EDIT: Managed to capture a fifolog of a change between visible textures and the textures disappearing again during a cutscene, with textures visible first. It's pretty big (208~ MB) so I've compressed it via 7zip and now it's 6MB. That... might cause issues? Anyway it's getting late so I am uploading the 6MB one and going to sleep. I'll upload the raw if needed tomorrow.
https://www.mediafire.com/?k2cg3e3l4fp5zw3
Note the textures cut out the moment the camera cuts from Travis to the enemy, and remain broken for the remaining camera cuts.

Also this file I just recorded crashes immediately if I try loading it in 4.X, but works fine textures and all in 3.X