Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New MD5 function and Scrubbed ISO's [Hashes] Some Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Would the hash of a Scrubbed Wii game be considered copyrighted?

All the hashes I've found so far are for an unscrubbed disc. I scrub since I have original discs and I don't care about 1:1.

If it's ok, here's a test MD5: (If not, I'll remove this line)
SUPER MARIO GALAXY - RMGE01 - Scrubbed b84728ba6fcb2252151a32709a582b26 - Unscrubbed 8eac1d25208b3413885007e61bd74665 - Scrubbed GCZ 9f0dd595a684f5c4d74091a2ae30389b

Please tell me if this is what you get if you check.
Another question, is the scrubbing method the same for each program that does it?
Like would I end up with a different MD5 if I scrubbed with Wii Backup Manager, compared to another scrubbing program.
Are there any plans to save the MD5 into a .md5 file so that it doesn't have to be rehashed each time I view it? Same for if I want to check it?

Why isn't there some sort of tagging method for gcz files, like how mp3 keeps it's tag at the end of the file? That would be useful for keeping a good title name, possibly a banner that isn't lost every time I update dolphin, and the md5 for file checking purposes. I wouldn't mind having the md5 added to the ini and a check button in dolphin.

Regarding banners, is there a download that will give me all the possible banners? It's a pain trying to get a save for each game just to have the banner I'll no doubt lose in a week. If nothing else, wouldn't it be cool if the Sys\GameSettings\ directory could hold an id named png of the right size that correlates to the game in question?

Sorry I'm flooding these questions. These are things that I've wondered since back in 2010.
Kayot Wrote:Would the hash of a Scrubbed Wii game be considered copyrighted?

MD5 hashes are not copyrighted, at least most (if not all) systems of copyright would find them ineligible for copyright protection.

Kayot Wrote:Another question, is the scrubbing method the same for each program that does it?
Like would I end up with a different MD5 if I scrubbed with Wii Backup Manager, compared to another scrubbing program.

It depends on if there's a "standard" way or even a few well known ways of scrubbing ISOs and if the programs in question use them. Obviously scrubbed disc images made from WiiScrubber should produce the same MD5 hashes (assuming the input was the same to begin with), but even different versions of WiiScrubber could possibly yield different MD5 hashes for the exact same disc image. The reason why MD5 hashes are useful for verifying disc image integrity (in the emulation community at least) is that by basing it off the raw, unedited 1:1 retail copy, you eliminate all of the variables that something like WiiScrubber introduces.

Kayot Wrote:Why isn't there some sort of tagging method for gcz files, like how mp3 keeps it's tag at the end of the file?

You mean the file extension in the filename? Why not just append it yourself? I thought Dolphin did this already, but I've never compressed any disc image myself, the joys of too much HDD space.

Kayot Wrote:Are there any plans to save the MD5 into a .md5 file so that it doesn't have to be rehashed each time I view it? Same for if I want to check it?

Why not copy+paste it into a .md5 yourself? Afaik, the hash isn't rehashed every time you open Dolphin; you have to manually tell Dolphin to compute it (you click a button). It would be quite slow for some people who have many games if Dolphin were to compute all of their MD5 hashes automatically every time.

Kayot Wrote:Regarding banners, is there a download that will give me all the possible banners? It's a pain trying to get a save for each game just to have the banner I'll no doubt lose in a week. If nothing else, wouldn't it be cool if the Sys\GameSettings\ directory could hold an id named png of the right size that correlates to the game in question?

You shouldn't be losing banners, not since Dolphin switched to a global user directory across all OSes. I can only speak for Linux usage, but I've never lost all of my banners switching between revisions (some, occasionally, but not every one). Are you using a portable.txt file to make newer revisions work like Dolphin did before the global user directory? If so, that may be the source of your problem.

As for banners, we had a ton of users upload them to dolphin-emu.org a while ago. I doubt anyone else has ever tried to do anything like it (except maybe Nintendo, given that they have to license everything), so the banners on https://dolphin-emu.org/compat/ are probably the most extensive online database available. It doesn't have all of them, but it has more than anyone else has collected so far to my knowledge.
My apologies, I didn't list what I was using. I'm running Windows 7 x64, with Dolphin 4.0-1516.

I have the hard drive space, I just choose to save as much space as possible. I understand that I have to do the calculation per game, it just doesn't save it after it's done which i find just a bit annoying.

The banner thing, is for the game list in Dolphin. Besides, short of examining the elements, I can't download the banner off the site. I was just wondering why there wasn't a more user convenient way to keeping the banners. When I format my system I have to grab the whole Sys directory. I'd like it if I could just export the saves and banners. I don't care about system data. Having the banners be separate from the saves means I could have a banner for games I never turned on, more than not have a save for. Plus, games that lack a save feature could have user made banners ready to go without a lot of tinkering.

Another question, is there a way to take a Wad file that has an emulator in it and set it up so I don't have to put another game in it to play that game. Like if I use a Zelda OoT wad, could I play another N64 game with it without putting the game into the wad file? That'd be cool. Right now I have to make a wad file for each N64 game I want to play on Dolphin. I wouldn't care about it so much if the PC N64 emulators were better. I feel the same way about PC2SX. I wish they'd take on PS1 emulation because their emulator is better than the slew of PC PS1 emulators.
To make the games run full speed on the Wii, each N64 game has its own custom emulator, won't work.

And for PS1 Emulation, use Xebra, then you won't need to worry about PS1 emulators for 99.9% of games.
FYI, Dolphin "scrubs" Wii games prior to compressing to gcz by itself anyway. So if you have a unedited Wii ISO, compress then decompress it will probably have a different hash.
(05-03-2014, 05:35 AM)Sonicadvance1 Wrote: [ -> ]FYI, Dolphin "scrubs" Wii games prior to compressing to gcz by itself anyway. So if you have a unedited Wii ISO, compress then decompress it will probably have a different hash.

I know it scrubs it. I was planning on leaving it as a gcz since I mothballed my Wiis. I was thinking that having a built in MD5 that would hash the non-tag data would be useful. A better idea for hashes would be for it to hash the internal files of the iso instead and store those in the meta tag. I'm guessing the md5 hash was just a nice idea to be able to handle it from the inside of dolphin for a quick check. I use total commander so I can make hashes and save them as .md5 files for the iso. I'm just interested in a better method. I'm always looking for a better way to keep data safe. I don't expect for these changes, more like a "Why isn't it?"
The retaining of the MD5 hashes would be purely a UI experience. Maybe in the future, maybe with our QT UI eventually. Someone just needs to do it.
Katoy Wrote:I understand that I have to do the calculation per game, it just doesn't save it after it's done which i find just a bit annoying.

As Sonicadvance1 said, this is just a UI feature that has yet to be implemented. In the meantime, it's easy enough to copy+paste into a .md5 file. If have some knowledge of basic C++ file I/O (printing a string to a file, nothing fancy) you could hack up something pretty quickly.

Katoy Wrote:I was just wondering why there wasn't a more user convenient way to keeping the banners

There is. Dolphin saves them in C:\My Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Cache iirc. Just Copy+Paste this folder for whatever solution you need.
The cache folder will work, provided that you don't move/rename the games

it would be better to backup ...\Dolphin Emulator\Wii\title\ (will saves, banners)
Why doesn't it cache the game banner by it's title id?
Pages: 1 2