Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 4.0.2 runs a lot choppier than previous versions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Same exact settings with all my games with 4.0.2 and previous versions. It says it's at 60 fps, but it's really choppy. I'll just be reverting to previous version until this seems to get fixed.

of course

W7 64
3770k @ 3.5
8 gb ram
Why are you still using that? Recent versions are far faster than 4.0.2...
I figured using 4.0.2 would be best since it's the latest stable release? Which version do you recommend?
The latest developers version.

(Goddamnit neobrain, give us 4.1 already Big Grin)
I found out that running OpenGL and setting the frame limit to 60 with the no limit option unchecked works, but I can't use DX9 or 11 which is so weird. Btw, sorry if this is in the wrong sub thread. I guess I should've posted this in the support forum.
(05-02-2014, 04:41 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Why are you still using that? Recent versions are far faster than 4.0.2...
Depending on whether you have an AMD or nVidia GPU and which driver version you have, 4.0.2 may give significantly better performance than recent revisions, since it predates the removal of the VSH and the merge of integer calculations for graphics emulation.
VSH was removed because there was an addition of a non-hacked method to a lot of graphics drivers for both AMD and NVIDIA.
(05-02-2014, 02:06 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]VSH was removed because there was an addition of a non-hacked method to a lot of graphics drivers for both AMD and NVIDIA.
I know; I'm just saying that if you have other software constraints which prevent you from updating your drivers, old VSH builds will give superior performance.

One such constrait that impacts me, for instance, is that nVidia's drivers in the 330.x and higher series cripple Folding@home performance on GK104 cards, such as the GTX 760, and while 335.x finally has a fix for it, those drivers apparently break OGL with Dolphin completely, according to this post. As a result, I'm stuck on 326.80 until nVidia releases a new driver that works with both Folding@home and Dolphin, so 4.0.2 gives better performance for me. Users with GK110 cards aren't affected by the problem, so they can use the recommended 332.21 drivers with full performance in both applications.
(05-02-2014, 06:14 AM)Zazabar Wrote: [ -> ]I found out that running OpenGL and setting the frame limit to 60 with the no limit option unchecked works, but I can't use DX9 or 11 which is so weird. Btw, sorry if this is in the wrong sub thread. I guess I should've posted this in the support forum.

DX9 was dropped ages ago. In current development versions you have only D3D, which is DX11...
VSH isn't available on my video card, so I've never been able to use it. I'm also running my 7950 with my CCC on version 14.4. I've had nothing but rotten luck with these damn AMD drivers to screen tearing when I have and HDMI cable and DVI cable being used simultaneously, to probably this.

I'm went back to 4.0.1, but most of my games, namely Melee and Brawl, are choppy with D3D, so I just went back to 4.0.2. I'm thinking it's my video drivers. Something about them is interfering with Dolphin versions 4.0 and later as 3.5 works flawlessly with D3D.

Since these newer drivers seem to do nothing good for me, I'll probably revert to a prior version that worked with Dolphin. Thanks for the help guys.