Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Powerful enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

My future aspecs:

* Processor : i3 3220 @3.3 ghz (score of 4 226)
* Graphics Card: R9 270x TOXIC edition, DDR5 2gb
* RAM: Im between chosing for "12gb 1333mhz" or new "2x4 1600mhz"
* Mobo: asus p8 B75-M/CSM
* Windows 8

Does the GPU helps the CPU? how could handle dolphin heavier work?

Hi, I used to have a lower i3, and a Radeon HD 5450, the graphic card bottlenecked the cpu, still able to handle GC dolphin barely at mid settings
Now the cpu does to the gpu, but the cpu could handle the heaviest loads?

Bottleneck? to much?
You'll want to get a 4th gen i3-4130 or i3-4340, as they have at least a 30% increase in speed over Ivy Bridge in Dolphin benchmarks.

Dolphin relies more heavily on the CPU than the GPU, so you were most likely getting bottle-necked by the old i3, not the HD 5450
(04-29-2014, 04:52 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]You'll want to get a 4th gen i3-4130 or i3-4340, as they have at least a 30% increase in speed over Ivy Bridge in Dolphin benchmarks.

Dolphin relies more heavily on the CPU than the GPU, so you were most likely getting bottle-necked by the old i3, not the HD 5450

Im aware of that, just saying, im pretty sure that AA and FXAA lays on the gpu, I used to lower that and other gpu settings so I could run it 60 fps (twilight princess), so yeah, pretty much the gpu was the problem

Since I dont have the new pc for only dolphin use, gpu was a greater upgrade than the cpu (Later upgrade for a i5 3570k)

So I was asking if I could do the heaviest loads of dolphin (playing the most heavy game with maxed out) with the cpu bottlenecking and actual aspecs, so not changing or anything, simple as that.
We describe a CPU bottleneck as when you're playing at default graphics settings and the games aren't running fullspeed. If you increase the IR/AA/AF beyond default and it starts to slowdown, then yes, you are correct in saying that you have GPU bottleneck.
You first post has some confusing grammar, so I was thrown off by it.

Just so you know, Twilight princess is a demanding game when you get later into the game and hit Hyrule field, and I believe that even an overclocked i5-4670k has issues with it.

The only thing a GPU upgrade will do for you in Dolphin is allow you to raise the enhancements farther. Games won't run faster, they'll just look nicer.

If you do want to do a CPU upgrade at some time, the i3-4130 and i3-4340 will be faster than an i5-3570K
I forgot to say Im learning english lol, forgive me please

well, I will pray so the god dammit i3 will do his work well, as I found, it reach the score for little, being 4000 the mininum, and 6000 enough to do it (the i5 I mentioned its ok, and available in my town Big Grin)

Thanks for the information
Hey, it's no problem, do your best.

What score system are you using for the 4000 minimum and 6000 max?
(04-29-2014, 06:07 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, it's no problem, do your best.

What score system are you using for the 4000 minimum and 6000 max?

Processors with a score of 4000 (i3 3220 has 4226) will do just fine, 6000 (i5 3570k has 7180) will do it for heavier games and and 10,000 (i7 3770k has 9,651) would do it perfect, or smooth enough.

And the list (common processors):
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

I dont remember where I found that, but its quite legit, I read it somewhere on dolphin requirements

Edit:
I didnt get your question until now, im using the system from the link, i thought it was that one, if not, tell so other people wont confuse
No, it's not legit. It's a basic guideline. How do I know it's not legit? 3930k is Sandy Bridge-E, and scores higher than the 4670k, which is Haswell. Almost all Haswell processors perform much better than almost all Ivy Bridge CPUs, and the 3930k is below even Ivy Bridge in that respect.

EDIT: Actually, technically, it IS legit, but not ACCURATE.
Aandtech recently used the Dolphin benchmarking tool to show how different CPUs stack up when using Dolphin. Dolphin needs stronger single core speeds, so the faster each core is, the better it performs.

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-an...-benchmark

Basically, the i7-4770K is the best for Dolphin, and the i5-4670K is the same thing as the i7 just without hyperthreading.

cpubenchmark.com lumps all of the combined scores for a CPU together. You'll get a better picture of how Dolphin will behave by looking at the above link (or if someone could link the actual benchmark list, I'm too lazy to find it), OR looking at single core speed comparisons from http://cpuboss.com/ (look at the single-core speed comparisons)