Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I'm "aspect correcting" several textures in Wind Waker so they look good in 16:9!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey, everyone, just thought I'd let you know about a fun little project I'm working on. Basically, I'm going through and manually rescaling several textures (HD ones, credit to Hypatia [seriously, check out this texture pack, it's awesome]) in the Wind Waker's HUD so that when they get stretched to 16:9, they actually look normal and the UI mostly appears as if it were designed with widescreen in mind. I'm far from done, although the results are already extremely promising!

Here are some screenshots, if you're keen.

The first thing I worked on as a "proof of concept" was the controller buttons, which you'll notice are now rounded even though they normally appear stretched in widescreen. From there, I continued on and did the hearts, the rupee icon in the corner, numbers, the Nintendo and Dolby logos at startup, everything on the splash screen, some item icons, and the text (blah, super tedious; thank Gaben for GIMP's grids and keyboard shortcuts, though!).

The process itself is rather easy. I take a texture, scale its width to 75% of the normal value, and then to centre the texture I move the scaled image to the right by x number of pixels, where x = (originalWidth - newWidth) * 0.5. This formula would actually be fairly simple to script, and it's something I'm interested in pursuing.

One thing to bear in mind, however, is that this absolutely will not work for all textures and that fitting textures must be hand-picked. Essentially, background HUD elements in particular will not produce clean results with this since other textures are overlaid on top of them. Most (but not all, depending on the background) overlaid textures will work fine, though, such as items or buttons in the case of the Wind Waker. Scaling text boxes themselves also will not generate pleasing results as the text will end up outside of the box; however, text works perfectly if the text is one whole image itself (see the "Info" text next to the A button in the first screen), and it looks decent if it's aspect corrected on an unscaled background (see the "Bait Bag" text, also on the first screen).

All in all, I'm having tons of fun with this concept, and I'm incredibly satisfied with the results it's producing. If I can get all of the high resolution textures loading properly, I'll be able to modify them and almost make Wind Waker look like a native widescreen title.

EDIT

I've added another screenshot to the album, this one with text in it. There are only two unscaled elements in this image: The background of the text, and the arrow. Everything else gets scaled to a proper aspect ratio when forced to 16:9.

This also highlights one of the issues with how text as handled. As you'll notice, the spacing between the text looks rather odd since it's so large. This is a side effect of "squishing" the fonts so that their aspect ratio looks normal when being stretched out. If I ever release a texture pack of any kind using this texture aspect correction concept, I will provide options with and without corrected text.

Qaazavaca Qaanic

Text looks weird. Maybe use a wider font instead of leaving gigantic spaces? It's pretty obvious something happened.
(04-28-2014, 03:41 AM)jimbo1qaz Wrote: [ -> ]Text looks weird. Maybe use a wider font instead of leaving gigantic spaces? It's pretty obvious something happened.

I've already acknowledged that in my post, if you didn't read it through. If the text is made wider, it screws up the aspect ratio again. It may, however, be possible to simply scale fonts up after they've been "aspect corrected". It's something I'll experiment with later.

*EDIT
I may actually have a solution that could work far better than I would have initially expected. I'll post when there are further updates!
BETTER?! Tongue

Naw, I really just whipped that together as quickly as possible to see how things would look. Didn't even bother to do all of the capital letters, and just kinda gave no craps about the positioning of the lowercase letters.

Fortunately, it fixed the kerning problem! Unfortunately, some text doesn't scale up nicely and is difficult to fit within its grid. I may end up putting together my own textures for text after all! I can definitely make the text look 16:9 by design if I spend enough time on it, at least.

*EDIT*

Even though it was a bit of a joke at first, I actually fell in love with the completely mismatched font style for Wind Waker. It fits Wind Waker's art direction well, it's fun, and it looks fantastic on the menus. I went ahead and completed it. You can see the end result here. I'll get back to morphing textures about now, though!

Qaazavaca Qaanic

1. Narrow the text slightly, resulting in something that looks less stretched than 16:9 but still more readable than fully aspect-corrected.
2. Upres the text without aspect-correcting, because aspect correction looks weird.
3. Mismatched font is not an option for me.
1. This still wouldn't give great results, and for the amount of effort it would take it's not something I'm interested in.
2. This will already be an option on release. If you didn't read above: "If I ever release a texture pack of any kind using this texture aspect correction concept, I will provide options with and without corrected text.
3. This texture pack isn't just for you, and that's why I'm going to be providing three options: Uncorrected high-resolution text, corrected high-resolution text (which results in the bad kerning), and the fun, mismatched font. People can choose which style they prefer. Personally, the mismatched font has really grown on me and I think it complements Wind Waker's aesthetics wonderfully. I know that it's not for everyone, though, and absolutely expect some people (such as yourself) to outright dislike it.
Wow, I thought I was the only who thought about this idea, keep up the good work man.
Looks great. Beautiful really.

However spacing in the clean font is too large by about 10% horizontally, 20% vertically. And in the womble text (lol) ... virtually unreadable. I know you probably think it's "fun" or kitschy but jeez it sucks.

The idea is fine and really I think it would be the way to go if it was reined in. It's just too much.
Looks awesome, can't wait to try it out!
Hey, this thread got bumped at an awesome time! Hypatia's been working on her texture pack as usual and she recently added quite a few more things that I was silently waiting on, such as all of the selection button text! I have updated my file structure and aspect corrected all of the new files!

I've uploaded the HUD packs for your pleasure. Here is a screenshot of how it looks for me currently. As has been mentioned, the aspect corrected fonts don't look good to everyone, so I've made this available in two separate forms. There is the option for the aspect-corrected HUD and fonts and the aspect-corrected HUD only. I'll continue to update as much as possible, usually after Hypatia releases large updates. I'll also update whenever I find more interface textures that are prime candidates for aspect correction. Again, this won't work on many elements, such as textures that will rotate or move on the screen. This works best with static stuff, which is fortunately almost all of the HUD!

Lastly, I'd like to note that this is distributed with permission and also that many item icons will occasionally not load due to the way Dolphin hashes dumped textures. Be sure to use the safe texture cache. Outside of that, enjoy!!
Pages: 1 2 3