Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Microstutter? 60FPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

rythven

I play both SSB Melee and Project M. I am experiencing choppiness in both games frequently, but at random times. The FPS count never drops during these events, it's always on 60fps. Feels like it drops frames to 30. Tends to happen when the background is changing, but has happened in random instances. Does not seem to be a graphics issue as it still manifests in lowest setting and both D3D and OpenGL.

My computer specs:

i5 4670K stock 3.4ghz
nvidia GTX 550TI stock
Corsair XMS DDR3 8gb 1600mhz ram (using XMP profile)
500gb hard drive 7200 rpm
Dolphin 4.0-652 x64

I'm gonna reformat and test after a clean install. Any one else experience this? It would be awesome to actually enjoy myself playing instead of gritting through it. No stuttering with other PC games.
This happens actually to most people right now, it seems to be a known issue.
Try disabling hyperthreading
It's more common on AMD cards when using OpenGL though. That, and horrible tearing.

rythven

Ok I did it! I realize this should be obvious but maybe not everyone has the same issue. I got everything running with no lag by checking the "Disable desktop composition" in the compatibility settings of Dolphin. You get there by right clicking on Dolphin, properties, then compatibility tab. If it's greyed-out, disable UAC. Basically, if you have Windows Aero on, vsync is happening whether you realize it or not. If your fps drops below 60, vsync immediately drops to 30fps. That's what I was experiencing. Now everything feels amazing.
(04-24-2014, 03:32 PM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]That, and horrible tearing.

Driver issue. Also rather recent. I think they might have fixed it in 14.4; I'm not experiencing it anymore.

Also, rythven, I thought that I'd point out that microstutter and frame drops are different things. I realize that you fixed your issue, but you seem to have slightly mixed your issue there.
(04-25-2014, 08:48 AM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-24-2014, 03:32 PM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]That, and horrible tearing.

Driver issue. Also rather recent. I think they might have fixed it in 14.4; I'm not experiencing it anymore.

Also, rythven, I thought that I'd point out that microstutter and frame drops are different things. I realize that you fixed your issue, but you seem to have slightly mixed your issue there.

No it isn't. The same shit happens on the Open Source drivers on Linux too (even though performance is really horrible), so it's not a driver issue.
Well, I've not been experiencing it since grabbing 14.4, so I guess it's not an issue as much as something that needs to be fixed by the drivers.

mintcake1980

(04-24-2014, 08:56 AM)rythven Wrote: [ -> ]I play both SSB Melee and Project M. I am experiencing choppiness in both games frequently, but at random times. The FPS count never drops during these events, it's always on 60fps. Feels like it drops frames to 30. Tends to happen when the background is changing, but has happened in random instances. Does not seem to be a graphics issue as it still manifests in lowest setting and both D3D and OpenGL.

My computer specs:

i5 4670K stock 3.4ghz
nvidia GTX 550TI stock
Corsair XMS DDR3 8gb 1600mhz ram (using XMP profile)
500gb hard drive 7200 rpm
Dolphin 4.0-652 x64

I'm gonna reformat and test after a clean install. Any one else experience this? It would be awesome to actually enjoy myself playing instead of gritting through it. No stuttering with other PC games.

Hi,
I had this issue the other day and it was after i updated to the latest Nvidia beta driver, I disabled the "Shader Cache" option in NVidia Control panel and it went away.

hope this helps if you have Nvidia and latest Beta.

Regards
Mintcake
Turn on triple buffering and it should help if it's a vsync issue.

Also, since you have an nvidia card, make sure dolphin is set to run with the high performance profile instead of adaptive. And make sure you have the latest beta driver.

You're also using an old version of Dolphin. Try updating, the newer versions have gotten a lot smoother for me under OpenGL.
Pages: 1 2