Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Action Replay Codetypes and Gecko
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've been diving into making AR codes for Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, since all the established codes seem to not work for Dolphin for some people (myself included). I've figured out a basic understanding of a few codetypes, but I can't find any more information anywhere - what other codetypes are available?

$8-bit write YY at address XXXXXX:
00XXXXXX 000000YY

$16-bit write YYYY at address XXXXXX:
02XXXXXX 0000YYYY

$32-bit write YYYYYYYY at address XXXXXX:
04XXXXXX YYYYYYYY

Second question: What's the difference between Gecko and Action Replay?
Action Replay codetypes: http://www.bsfree.org/hack/hacking_gcn.h...code_types

Gecko OS codetypes: http://geckocodes.org/index.php?arsenal=1

The majority of codes you see for Gecko are ASM. The other codetypes are rarely used.

Gecko is the cheat device created for Wii, as the Wii does not (or didn't?) support the AR device. As for how that matters in Dolphin, I'm not entirely sure. They both seem to support the majority of codes I've entered, and if they don't work in one, I try it in the other.

There aren't many (if any) actual Gecko codes that have been created for gamecube games, considering it's not made for it, but entering AR codes in the Gecko tab may work.

Edit: I saw your post in the main thread for FE:RD concerning button activators. You can't use button activators meant for Gecko via the AR option. They are specific to Gecko.
(04-22-2014, 02:38 AM)nikoo Wrote: [ -> ]Action Replay codetypes: http://www.bsfree.org/hack/hacking_gcn.h...code_types

Ah, that was very exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.

(04-22-2014, 02:38 AM)nikoo Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: I saw your post in the main thread for FE:RD concerning button activators. You can't use button activators meant for Gecko via the AR option. They are specific to Gecko.

Yeah that's what I gathered - but do you know how you make them? It has the button press codes at the bottom of that link but I don't know how to get the button press data. Presumably it's something like using the conditionals from that site but I can't find the locations in memory that deal with what buttons are pressed on the controller o_O
I have never hacked Gecko conditionals, so I have no idea how that works.

If the existing Gecko version doesn't work when entering it in the Gecko Codes section, you can hack the AR equivalent of the conditional using the built in cheat search of Dolphin (there are many other methods too, such as Cheat Engine).

The condition value varies depending on your control scheme, but assuming you are using Wiimote+Nunchuck: http://geckocodes.org/index.php?arsenal=2 you can easily find the address.

By enabling background input you can have the Cheat Search window active while doing a 16-bit search on the value you are holding down buttons for (0x6000 if holding Z+C, 0x2000 if only holding Z and so on), just keep searching Equal and swapping between any given combination, and not holding any buttons down (0x0000).

Once you've narrowed it down to the last few addresses, and they don't seem to disappear anymore, you make an AR conditional with the addresses you've found and the button combination you want to use for activation (0Axxxxxx 0000yyyy) testing each of them until you find the one working.

This is not guaranteed to work for every game but in many cases it is enough to find it.

The same goes here, you can't use the AR conditional in the Gecko section, so the code you want to activate must also work when entered in the AR section.

The values you see at the bottom of the GC AR codetypes document do not apply to Wii games. You will need the same values as Gecko uses.

Edit: As an example I used the above method to aquire the AR conditional for Resident Evil 4 Wii [NTSC-U], and these are the conditionals for AR and Gecko respectively:

AR
0A344C9C 00006008 (C+Z+Up on dpad)
Gecko
2832FF1A 9FF76008 (C+Z+Up on dpad)

As you can see, they are not very similiar other than the 6008 part, which is C+Z+Up. 9FF7 is 6008 in reverse, but I'm not entirely sure what function it has. As far as AR conditionals go I think you can disregard that and go with 16-bit.

Edit2: Btw, when you tried the button activators for FE:RD did you try

Wii Remote All Buttons Address [g6flavor]
283D78DA 0000xxxx
your code(s) here
E0000000 80008000
or one of the
Button Activator for Gamecube Controller(Hold ?) [ShadowX39]
283D78AE 0000xxxx
?

The one for GC controller will never work as Dolphin doesn't emulate that on Wii games. If you haven't already, you can try the Wii Remote one, and remember to enter it in the Gecko tab. If you have the offsets or if the codes already work from the Gecko tab this activator should also work, in which case you would not need to hack the AR conditional.
Thanks so much for a detailed reply Smile As soon as I read the first few words of the 4th paragraph I went OMFGTHERESABACKGROUNDINPUTBUTTONNOWONDERTHECHEATSEARCHDIDN'TWORK and immediately figured it out. I'm using an XBox360 controller as an emulated GC controller for FE:RD. Looks like (for Z+D-Right held):

$Button conditional (Z+Dr)
0A3D7928 00000012
Do this

Seems to work ok now - didn't work for a while, not sure why but I restarted the emulation and it worked Smile
I am glad you got it working!

Keep in mind that the 0Arrrrrr codetype only accepts a single line of code to be activated. If the code has multiple lines you can either use the 2-line activator or just go with the All until../All Codes (8Arrrrrr/CArrrrrr) and closing them with 00000000 40000000.

Now, you're saying you can emulate a GC controller as the input device for Wiimote? How does one do this? I can only select Emulated/Hybrid/Real Wiimote and as extensions I can add the Classic Controller but there is no GC controller?

Edit: Found this post that outlines a technique to force the GC controller. Is this the method you used? I tried this (in RE4Wii) and I got an entirely different conditional address that works with my PS3 controller (which I use to emulate GC controller) so thank you for teaching me something in return!
Yeah I noticed that acout the codetypes, activating blocks you need 4Arrrrrr and terminator lines. Worked fine Smile

Uh. I just use it as a Gamecube controller, FE:RD natively accepts using a Gamecube controller plugged into your Wii o_O Nothing fancy going on, I have my X360 controller set up as a GCPad in Dolphin, and it just works in FE:RD.
Fantastic. I hope your newfound knowledge of AR codes will continue to aid you in the quest for cheating!

I see. I figured it could also be that certain games give you the option to use it just like that, while other games only use it if the Wiimote is disabled.