Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: man dolphin-emu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just built an arcade cabinet and was wondering how to start a specific game from the Linux command line. I'd like to have my front end send a command like: dolphin-emu /home/user/dolphin-games/Pikmin.iso, but that doesn't work. What's the correct way to start a game in the terminal?
Looks like you forgot the "-e" parameter in between dolphin-emu and the file path.
Never mind. I just have to add a -e. Like this: dolphin-emu -e /home/user/dolphin-games/Pikmin.iso
I'd still appreciate any suggestions on fun games that can be played with arcade controls instead of a Wiimote. Also, is there a way to assign a different emulated wiimote setup to different games?

Wow, I didn't think anyone would respond so quickly. Yep, it was the -e. Thanks. any other tips?
(04-20-2014, 04:48 PM)artantaaa Wrote: [ -> ]Never mind. I just have to add a -e. Like this: dolphin-emu -e /home/user/dolphin-games/Pikmin.iso
I'd still appreciate any suggestions on fun games that can be played with arcade controls instead of a Wiimote. Also, is there a way to assign a different emulated wiimote setup to different games?

Wow, I didn't think anyone would respond so quickly. Yep, it was the -e. Thanks. any other tips?

See this thread for different emulated controls per game:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...s-per-game
SSBM, SSBB, and SSB (Virtual Console) would be great for an arcade cabinet, especially since the controls are super simplified compared to other fighting games. Wouldn't try to play pro-tournaments with the thing though (GC controller ftw). MK-DD, MK64 (Virtual Console), MK Wii, Mario Party games on the GC and possibly Wii, any Bomberman game, and Star Fox 64 and that other GC shooter Star Fox (the name escapes me atm). All of those would give you a slightly arcade-ish feel and most (by their GC nature) don't need a Wiimote, emulated or real.
I just found Ikaruga. It's perfect for the cabinet, and lots of fun. I'll probably do SSBM too. I've almost got everything setup, but I can't seem to get Dolphin to exit when I hit escape. I've tried the -b option that is supposed to "Exit Dolphin with emulator" but the Dolphin window remains open after I push escape. I have to close the window with the mouse, or hit Alt-F4 to get back to the front end. This is a problem since there will be no mouse or keyboard on the finished cabinet. Is there a way to make the game selection window close when exiting a game, or better yet, never even open?

If there is no way to do that, I will have to somehow get the escape key to also trigger Alt-F4, perhaps with a slight delay. Does anyone know how to set that up in Debian?
I would very much recommend a program called QJoyPad. It translates joystick input into keyboard presses. You will need two spare buttons, one for Alt and one for F4. I would use the two joysticks, assuming you "click" them as in push them down (think Halo and usinh the scope on guns).
Qjoypad doesn't support Alt Ctrl Shift Modifiers, so I see what you mean about two buttons. I would actually need three buttons, because I still need to send the escape command. I have a total of two buttons to control my frontend, exit and select. My joysticks don't push down. I guess I could wire the exit button to three different inputs on the control board set to escape, Alt, and F4, but I would lose two buttons. I think the easiest way would be to change the close window shortcut from Alt-F4 to Escape in Debian, but it won't let me. I can change it to other keys, but not to just Escape. I can change it to Alt-Escape, so a keyboard inside the cabinet with a C-clamp on the Alt key might work if it doesn't break something else I haven't discovered yet. It seems like a horrible solution though, and I still have to hit the button twice to get back to the front end. Is there really no way to make Dolphin close upon exiting a game? Every other emulator I have encountered has this option.
Easiest solution is just to modify the source for Dolphin. Nothing fancy, just drop in an exit() call. Dunno where it should placed though.
I hadn't considered modifying Dolphin, but that's a great idea. I found the thread where you explain how to remove the yellow text that appears when you start a game. Thanks, things will look much nicer without it.

So about this exit() call, could WXInputBase.cpp or X11InputBase.cpp be the right place to put it? I just looked through the code for the first time and those were the only files that seemed to describe keyboard inputs. I'm probably way off, but I'm trying to get an idea of what I should be searching for.
Pages: 1 2