Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: upgrading my old pc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

the|Gamer

Hello,
As you see I have an old i5-750 with GTX 260, it is okay for me as I only use it to play some LAN Games with friends and Emulators with my younger sister in Multiplayer.

But playing F-Zero GX oder Mario Kart Wii ist not that lag-free as I tought it would be, and enabling LLE is something I can only dream of Big Grin

So I tought of upgrading my rig with a better CPU but leaving the old Motherboard for now as this would probably get over my budget. Is there a good alternative to my CPU for Socket LGA1156?

I thing the GPU is good enough for Dolphin, but I want to upgrade (Titanfall lags Big Grin) and I thought of buying the R9 270X but now I have seen that AMD GPUs are not that good for Dolphin, is this true?

Regards,
Deniz
If you want to play Dolphin you need to get an i5 4670k and Z87 Board anyways. There is nothing on LGA1156 that is really faster. AMD cards are good for Dolphin, the CPUs are not.
That's still a good CPU for that mobo, you could try upgrading to an i5-760 but price to performance boost ratio won't be as great in contrast to getting a new mobo with a better CPU.
i5 750 can be overclocked . Push it as far as you can (Recommend : 3.6GHz or higher)
If you built your computer, you can just buy an i5-4670K, Z87 mobo, and new RAM. You should be able to reuse your: case, power supply, hard drive, and other peripherals
Can't he just reuse his RAM? I thought 1156 was DDR3?
Couldn't remember off the top of my head, looked it up, and it is indeed, DDR3.
So add RAM to what you can reuse

the|Gamer

So "only" Motherboard, CPU and GPU I have 6GB of DDR3 Ram right, and DDR3 Ram is really expensive at the moment Big Grin So what CPU/GPU/Mobo should I use as my budget is not the biggest
Well, if you want to stay with an i5 and have the option to overclock in the future, get the i5-4670k with a Z87 mobo, and then a gtx 750 Ti as a baseline card (I only really know Nvidia, so I can't recommend AMD)

If you don't feel like you'll need all that CPU power, get an i3-4340 and an h87 mobo, as it will perform similarly to a stock i5-4670K because Dolphin is only a dual-core program.

It's really up to you, but the i5 will perform better than the i3 as a computer outside of Dolphin, but it's all up to personal preference

the|Gamer

So this is what I think will be my config https://monosnap.com/image/eBrRlLe1uEzT0...Oxl1Or1FXb what do you think?
Pages: 1 2