Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Not able to play any, Updated+Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

gdrz09

Alright guys I have run into a major improvement by simply trying to play the games with a old dolphin.

I am currently testing the game with 3.0 and it is much smoother than with later versions.

Everything seems to be "almost" going well now, graphics are tight, sounds don't stutter anymore or crash, sounds are in synch with the cutscnes too.

The only problem that I have now is that i only get 50% emulation speed "in-game" cutscenes are about 80%, is there any way to speed this up?

The game is almost running smoothly, if I could just speed it up now then it would be perfect.

I am willing to sacrifice quality to be able to run smoothly but until now regular changes did not speed up anything yet, including changing resolution and such.

Any other tips?

Maybe there are some settings I havent tried yet for speeding up emulation, would love to hear some advice.
gdrz09 Wrote:This is weird since I am able to run my ps2 emulator and any games without problems.

A GameCube and Wii are nothing like a PS2. As such, you cannot compare emulation from the PS2 to GC/Wii.

gdrz09 Wrote:on my ps2 emulator I am able to run Resident Evil 4 on the highest settings without problems, while on Dolphin I can not even play a Resident Evil game 3 years older than 4 (Re Remake) which even uses-pre rendered backgrounds and is a much smaller game overall, everything is laggy video as well as sound.

See above.

gdrz09 Wrote:The same issue happened with Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes, I can run all Metal Gear Solid's smoothly on the ps2 emulator but on Dolphin It just wont run, the graphics are tight and everything looks fine, but the game is just terribly laggy as well as the sound.

Get the idea yet?

gdrz09 Wrote:Next to that Im also able to run most modern pc games on at least normal settings but just with Dolphin emulator im having problems running even the oldest games available for it.

GameCube/Wii emulation isn't anything like running a PC game either.

gdrz09's profile Wrote:Processor/CPU: 2.4-GHz Intel Core

You did not fill this out properly. Please state your processor's model number.

gdrz09

(04-19-2014, 11:56 AM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]
gdrz09 Wrote:This is weird since I am able to run my ps2 emulator and any games without problems.

A GameCube and Wii are nothing like a PS2. As such, you cannot compare emulation from the PS2 to GC/Wii.

gdrz09 Wrote:on my ps2 emulator I am able to run Resident Evil 4 on the highest settings without problems, while on Dolphin I can not even play a Resident Evil game 3 years older than 4 (Re Remake) which even uses-pre rendered backgrounds and is a much smaller game overall, everything is laggy video as well as sound.

See above.

gdrz09 Wrote:The same issue happened with Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes, I can run all Metal Gear Solid's smoothly on the ps2 emulator but on Dolphin It just wont run, the graphics are tight and everything looks fine, but the game is just terribly laggy as well as the sound.

Get the idea yet?

gdrz09 Wrote:Next to that Im also able to run most modern pc games on at least normal settings but just with Dolphin emulator im having problems running even the oldest games available for it.

GameCube/Wii emulation isn't anything like running a PC game either.

gdrz09's profile Wrote:Processor/CPU: 2.4-GHz Intel Core

You did not fill this out properly. Please state your processor's model number.

I know that emulating is not the same as running a PC game.. I follow emulation since way before Dolphin, and even the N64 emulator existed.

This is really the Only emulator that gives me trouble, and I know its not my hardware's fault.

This emulator is just really a hassle thats it, I already tried it before in the past but gave up after several attempts.

There has to be a solution in changing my settings, I just don't know exactly what since I already tried nearly every setup.

I'm really not a newb in hardware and software, I also work in IT and usually I'm able to solve most things myself but this Dolphin is just really a pain.

If I have to mention here what different config settings, games and versions I already tried I could make a full 5 page document.

In all honesty I just feel that the pcsx2 team did a better job at making an emulator that runs seamlessly.

Dolphin is a headache, the config settings aren't even that much nor complicated but until now it just doesnt work no matter what settings I try.

I just don't get it, maybe I overlooked something but I don't know what, its probably something simple that I missed.

Will update my specs at profile.
...Long story short, the CPU in your laptop just isn't fast enough. Dolphin's CPU requirements are pretty ludicrous, I agree, but there's no make-everything-faster option in the various configs.

>In all honesty I just feel that the pcsx2 team did a better job at making an emulator that runs seamlessly.
I disagree, but as much as I love complaining about the awfulness that is PCSX2, I've never had a chance to properly use it, so I guess I should refrain.
I use both PCSX2 and Dolphin with near equal regularity, and I must say that Dolphin is way easier to use (and better looking) for those that are new to emulators.
As for me, I use PCSX2 Bonus to get that "show all games as cover titles" that Dolphin does naturally.
PCSX2 has a lot of extra settings that go into the depths of how the emulator will run, but Dolphin will either work or not, and there are a lot less settings to go though to find the problem.
First of all, post the full make and model of your laptop.
Secondly even my i5-2500K@3.3GHz is some times not up to the task of running all Dolphin games smoothly. And my computer compared to many others on the (mainstream) market is a beast.

Set the power plan to high performance and follow this guide:
https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...ance_guide

gdrz09

Alright guys I have run into a major improvement by simply trying to play the games with a old dolphin.

I am currently testing the game with 3.0 and it is much smoother than with later versions.

Everything seems to be "almost" going well now, graphics are tight, sounds don't stutter anymore or crash, sounds are in synch with the cutscnes too.

The only problem that I have now is that i only get 50% emulation speed "in-game" cutscenes are about 80%, is there any way to speed this up?

The game is almost running smoothly, if I could just speed it up now then it would be perfect.

I am willing to sacrifice quality to be able to run smoothly but until now regular changes did not speed up anything yet, including changing resolution and such.

Any other tips?

Maybe there are some settings I havent tried yet for speeding up emulation, would love to hear some advice.
(04-19-2014, 01:50 PM)gdrz09 Wrote: [ -> ]This is really the Only emulator that gives me trouble, and I know its not my hardware's fault.

This emulator is just really a hassle thats it, I already tried it before in the past but gave up after several attempts.

There has to be a solution in changing my settings, I just don't know exactly what since I already tried nearly every setup.

I'm really not a newb in hardware and software, I also work in IT and usually I'm able to solve most things myself but this Dolphin is just really a pain.

If I have to mention here what different config settings, games and versions I already tried I could make a full 5 page document.
Your CPU isn't fast enough, period. With a faster CPU all the problems you're getting would simply go away without doing anything more

(04-19-2014, 01:50 PM)gdrz09 Wrote: [ -> ]In all honesty I just feel that the pcsx2 team did a better job at making an emulator that runs seamlessly.

Dolphin is a headache, the config settings aren't even that much nor complicated but until now it just doesnt work no matter what settings I try.

I just don't get it, maybe I overlooked something but I don't know what, its probably something simple that I missed.
PCSX2 and Dolphin are completely different. Dolphin is more demanding to emulate than PCSX2 (which have lots of Speed Hacks available). And I'll repeat again: your CPU isn't fast enough for Dolphin, there's no setting that will make it run magically faster with your current computer. Read CPU section in FAQ to clarify the things...

(04-22-2014, 05:22 PM)gdrz09 Wrote: [ -> ]I am currently testing the game with 3.0 and it is much smoother than with later versions.
Weak computer, older builds will be faster...

(04-22-2014, 05:22 PM)gdrz09 Wrote: [ -> ]Everything seems to be "almost" going well now, graphics are tight, sounds don't stutter anymore or crash, sounds are in synch with the cutscnes too.

Well, here we don't support anything older than the latest stable release (currently at 4.0.2). Since you opted in using an old (unsupported) build, you'll have to deal with that by yourself...
Sorry, but we don't support old versions. If using an old version helps you, then good luck. You're on your own.