Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is this graphics card good enough for Melee, Brawl, PM?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Signature360

NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M with Optimus

It would be paired with a i7-4700MQ

Looking to play Melee, Brawl, PM
Once a GPU can do 1x (even intel integrated stuff can), it can do any game.

Optimus is a technology used to switch between intel integrated stuff and the nvidia GPU, not a special bit of hardware on the GPU that makes it better. It only exists so that the laptop doesn't get hot while you're surfing the web.

And, also, yes.

I have no idea if that CPU can, though. I don't remember what the endings all mean on those Intel CPUs.
The i7-4700MQ is the recommended CPU for a laptop

Most laptops that have these specs tend to be the ones that are multi-media laptops, meaning that the CPU and the GPU share a heatsink. If one of them gets too hot the other will slow down to prevent overheating.
This is just a heads up for you, as Dolphin is pretty heavy on the CPU/GPU

You may want to look for a dedicated gaming laptop that has a dedicated heatsink for the CPU and one for the GPU. It will be a little more expensive though, but will pay off when playing more demanding games.
With the i7 4700mq the integrated graphics can do 2-3x IR. I wouldn't recommend the dedicated card as it will cause the processor to overheat faster. The integrated graphics will do just fine.