Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Games running 50%
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

smeltdipper2000

I have tried multiple versions of the dolphin emulator from 3.5-4.0.2 and all of them i can get the games to work but they are only at half speed. I have used the open GL plugin and it works but again half speed. When I try to use the direct plugins for the graphics though it tells me that it failed to enumurate outputs for the direct 3d11 or 3d9 plugin which ever one i try to use. I have been trying to play both fire emblem path of radiance as well as radiant dawn, also tales of symphonia as well. I have also attempted pokemon collosuem and they all appear to do the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

specs: intel core i7-4500u cpu@1.8ghz 2.4ghz quad core
Ram: 8GB
64 bit 8.1 OS
graphics: nvidia geforce 745M

Also the sound I have been able to figure out if I use the 4.0.2 version but i have to use the open plugin for the sound. the others just have weird sounds in them.
Your CPU is very weak for Dolphin actually. I would imagine that your CPU is throttling itself when you try to run Dolphin. Open the Windows Task Manager (or use CPU-Z if you prefer) and monitor your CPU's frequency as you play. While your hardware is lowend for Dolphin, I find it odd that all games hit ~50%, which sounds likes your clock frequency is being limited.

smeltdipper2000

I did as you suggested and the cpu did climb but it held steady once it reached 32% and what is the clock frequency?
Clock frequency = clock rate = CPU speed = Hz (KHz, MHz, GHz, etc).

Windows 8's task manager should tell you what the current "speed" of your CPU is. CPU-Z does that too but provides more info about the state of your CPU. Ignore CPU usage in Windows Task Manager, 32% doesn't tell us if you're running Dolphin at 1.8GHz or 2.4GHz.

smeltdipper2000

It is saying that it is actually running it at .77 GHz how would i make it so that the cpu is running with the speeds it should be? The power settings is on high proformance
Oh wow, that's super low. I've noticed that some Intel CPUs with the "U" suffix (meaning ultralow voltage, minimal power draw and heat generation but also minimized performance) will run slower than what Intel suggests is the minimum. Not sure about how this works really.

Try googling for the "Dolphin Emu Laptop Performance Guide" and in that thread read up about using Throttlestop. The GPU part of the guide will also help you with that "failed to enumerate outputs" error and hopefully let you use D3D. Be warned that you may still run into performance issues even when Throttlestop works, simply because your CPU is slow even when it's at its best.

smeltdipper2000

Thank You, using the guide it is actually clocking at 2.8 ghz which is over the 2.4 ghz maximum is that a bad thing for the computer?
Your CPU supports TurboBoost up to 3GHz, so 2.8 is great. Your CPU will automatically throttle if temps get too high.