Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why is my relatively new pc getting slowdowns in Melee?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

EDEdDNEdDYFaN

Hey guys, I picked up Dolphin a few weeks ago and I'm having a somewhat strange issue. I'm getting poor performance in Melee despite having (what I thought) was a pretty strong computer. Here are the specs
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1pPHv
I'm currently running Windows 8.1 and Dolphin 4.0-652, both 64 bit versions. I've also had similar issues with another 4.0-x version.

The only difference between my actual pc and these parts is the monitor that I picked up, which shouldn't be an issue regarding this problem. What is causing me to get slowdowns on basically every stage despite using
1x resolution, 1x AA etc.? Is it my somewhat dated graphics card? My Ram? Or possibly my power supply? I'm pretty sure an i7 should be good for running this even though it's a quad core rather than dual..

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been trying to figure out an ideal setup for a long time now. I've tried various combinations of fiddling with enhancements and hacks but have had no luck. Currently have
my graphics set to use OpenGL with the Vertex streaming and OpenMP texture decoding hacks.
Did you build that thing yourself? You made quite a few mistakes there and now. That build is pretty poor balanced (fast cpu but slow GPU).

The processor should be fast enough but since you didn't get the overclockable version (what's the point of Z77 then), you can't overclock it.
Another cause could be the GTX650Ti, but it should be enough for 1xIR.
Your got a good CPU and GPU there and should be able to handle this game without any problems. It doesn't matter if you have an i7 or not as Dolphin is a dual core application which means it only uses two cores and doesn't rely on hyper-threading technology. Try the following:

- Make sure pc is set to high performance under battery management.
- Set Dolphin to maximum under Nvidia.
- Check your temperatures with a temp monitoring program.
- Disable OpenMP texture decoding as I don't think this is really needed.

EDEdDNEdDYFaN

(04-18-2014, 03:33 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]Did you build that thing yourself? You made quite a few mistakes there and now. That build is pretty poor balanced (fast cpu but slow GPU).

The processor should be fast enough but since you didn't get the overclockable version (what's the point of Z77 then), you can't overclock it.
Another cause could be the GTX650Ti, but it should be enough for 1xIR.

Yeah my main focus on building this PC was being capable of streaming League of Legends and Starcraft 2 at first, so I was looking more toward a stronger CPU than GPU. In the future I will probably be upgrading that. Thank you for your comments though, this was my first computer! The stuff that you've mentioned is pretty helpful.

@cyrax33 - What do you mean by set Dolphin to Maximum? I'm following you up to going to Dolphin under the Nvidia control panel but do you want me to just manually go through each feature/setting and turn it on?
To add Dolphin.exe to Nvidia control panel and then set force maximum performance. It should put your GPU to maximum clocks so it always runs at full potential. Don't turn on anything else unless specified.

EDEdDNEdDYFaN

(04-18-2014, 04:00 AM)cyrax33 Wrote: [ -> ]To add Dolphin.exe to Nvidia control panel and then set force maximum performance. It should put your GPU to maximum clocks so it always runs at full potential. Don't turn on anything else unless specified.

I've followed your instructions as well as the ideas posted here: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ma...#pid300884. It seems like for me to run the game better it was necessary for me to put more strain on my GPU? Not sure if that reasoning is 100% but so far the results are good. Haven't had many issues with slowdown in any of my current tests, but it'll be up to playing with friends later to decide whether or not there's a lingering problem.