Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Intel Core i5 iMac enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

louiszezeran

Hi Everyone

Love the emulator, been trying to play some stuff on my iMac

Intel Core i5
2,7 GHz
8 GB

I am only trying to lay Wii Sports original, and it frame rate drops off pretty quickly. For example I can play golf ok but the first scene where it pans across the entire course gets really choppy and drops to 20-25 FPS. I also can't play tennis with more than one player.

It seems my CPU sits around 70%, RAM about 80% so I assume its being GPU bound.

Are these expected results or should I be fiddling with some OSX specific options?

thanks everyone
Exact i5 model? Dolphin build used? Which GPU you have?
This post is against a tonne of rules, as it's missing basically all the data we need to make a judgement on your situation... except that you mentioned Mac, and Dolphin has OSX-specific issues (mainly due to Apple insisting on writing their own drivers for 3rd party hardware, such as GPUs, and doing a shitty job of it) and performance on Macs is severely limited as OSX builds run slower than Windows and Linux builds on comparable hardware, and there's no Mac which comes with the right hardware to play all playable games.
If it's the late 2012 version (with geforce 640), then its probably the i5-3330S.
http://ark.intel.com/products/65509/Inte...o-3_20-GHz
2011 version has the i5-2500S with Radeon 6770
http://ark.intel.com/products/52211/Inte...o-3_70-GHz
You should look into BootCamp to use either Linux or Windows because of the reasons from AnyOldName3 said about OSX.
Windows would be the most customizable aspect for Dolphin, as it has the D3D backend that neither Linux or OSX have.
(04-16-2014, 02:48 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]You should look into BootCamp to use either Linux or Windows because of the reasons from AnyOldName3 said about OSX.
Windows would be the most customizable aspect for Dolphin, as it has the D3D backend that neither Linux or OSX have.

Yes, bootcamp is your friend and I would use Dolphin 3.5 as it still supports HLE and will be faster.
Except for the fact that 3.5 supports HL(garbage data creation) not HL(emulation) for the audio (invalidating his first reason), and in most cases, builds after 4.0.2 will be faster than 3.5, as there've been a tonne of optimisations, and you can, for example, use HLE in Zelda microcode games without crashes, meaning you can avoid the slowdown of LLE, which you're forced to use in 3.5.