Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Least expensive CPU/GPU to run SSBM/SSBPM netplay while recording?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was thinking of a Intel Core i3-4340 3.6GHz with only the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600, since it's only $180 at NCIX Canada (my preferred store). I want the PC to run SSBM and SSBPM at 480p and a constant 60 fps while recording gameplay, so I think an i5 might be a better choice. I was thinking of using the i5 4570, since it has the same clock rate (with Turbo Boost), same iGPU, and it's a quad core. I haven't looked much at the combination of a cheap CPU with a low-end dedicated GPU, since they usually end up being more expensive. What CPU/GPU combo would you guys suggest to play and record those games smoothly? I don't care much for resolution, as long as it's at least 480p. My budget for the CPU and GPU is about $250 CAD, but I'd prefer ones that do not need to OC so I can save on a mobo and cooler.

Also, is there anything else you would recommend to play SSBM and SSBPM on Dolphin?
Gigabyte Brix Pro is your best bet
It has i5 4570R and Intel HD 5200 which is as fast as GT 640 , small form factor
Since I saw how cheap the G3220 is in the last thread asking this question, I've been thinking about an upgrade for dolphin. I've already got ram, HD, case, GPU...etc, so I would just need a CPU/board. $120 for a big jump in speed sounds pretty good. (currently using X3440@3.6GHz) Since you would have to get a GPU for shadowplay if you got a 2 core CPU, I would just go ahead and get the 4670K . You can use the intel GPU for now and get a GPU later, and add a cooler once you want to overclock. I'll probably end up waiting until I can get a 4670K.

Budget build:
G3220 $70
Board $50
4GB ram $50
GTX 750 $120 (for shadowplay)
case $50
1TB $65

total $405

Fast build:
4670K $220
Z87Board $150
4GB ram $50
intel GPU $0
case $50
1TB $65

total $535
The G3220 would suffice. Smash games are light weight. That being said, you should be patient and save up for a more future-proof cpu rather than rush to get whatever works. The upcoming Pentium Anniversary cpu's could be worth waiting for too, they're going to be unlocked and will be released soon.
Get any NVIDIA GPU + ShadowPlay = GG for recording and streaming. Zero impact on performance; you can probably use a weaker CPU with a NVIDIA GPU and still get away with it because of how good ShadowPlay is.
It's also a fucktonne more reliable than FRAPS etc from my limited experience.