Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Higher performance in relation to hardware?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Unreal_pirate

I'm currently running:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Intel Core I3 2100 @3.1ghz
Radeon HD 7950
12 GB Kingston RAM (I can get more info on this if it's really relevant)

I Run the latest stable dolphin build (4.0.2) as well as Dolphin 3.0 for games. I run settings based on the performance guide found on the dolphin website.

What I'm currently seeing online is others with my CPU or slightly weaker currently running games at a higher performance than I am able to run them. Can someone help me with any other factors that may be having an effect on my performance? Thank you.
What games are you trying to play?
That processor is pretty weak for Dolphin and is definitely bottlenecking you but you should be able to play some low end/mid end games.
I'd recommend upgrading or overclocking (or upgrading).
Overclocking isn't possible on intel non-k processors, I don't think.

Could you be more specific? Are you hosting? Do you have a lot of background applications running?

Unreal_pirate

(04-13-2014, 05:02 AM)yl-smash Wrote: [ -> ]What games are you trying to play?
That processor is pretty weak for Dolphin and is definitely bottlenecking you but you should be able to play some low end/mid end games.
I'd recommend upgrading or overclocking (or upgrading).

I have currently attempted running Wind Waker, Super Mario sunshine, Shadow the Hegehog (extreme performance issues - game was unplayable. I understand this one requires more than I have) and Sonic Heroes. Trying to relive some of those games I played in my childhood.

I'm very new to dolphin emulation, but I have some experience with other emulators.
I also just now updated some drivers.

Will a processor overclock result in a major increase in performance?

(04-13-2014, 05:30 AM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]Overclocking isn't possible on intel non-k processors, I don't think.

Could you be more specific? Are you hosting? Do you have a lot of background applications running?

I try as best as possible to keep background applications to a minimum. Other than a couple default windows processes, I run Steam, Realtek audio manager, Catalyst control center, and Razer synapse.
Overclocking or upgrading your CPU will almost invariably give a noticeable performance increase. Unfortunately, though, you'd likely have to upgrade both your motherboard and CPU to overclock at all. I'd recommend splurging for a Z87 'board and an i5-4670K, preferably with a decent aftermarket cooler.

Also, I've given this exact advice hundreds of times. Try searching next time – I'd rather have people do research themselves than have to answer the same questions every day.
(04-13-2014, 06:42 AM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]I'd rather have people do research themselves than have to answer the same questions every day.

Words to live by.