Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Acer Aspire 5920 and HP Pavilion g7-1338dx. What performace can I expect?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have two laptops and want to know what kind of performance I should be getting out of them with Dolphin. I've not changed out any parts, except that I've ordered a new hard drive on the HP laptop (not here yet). You can look up the specs yourself. Nah, I might as well just post them here and save trouble! Nothing incredibly powerful, but pretty decent in my opinion. I'm NOT wanting to upgrade any of my specs, just wanting to know what kind of performance I can expect and what things I can tweak to get optimal performance.

Acer Aspire 5920
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 @ 1.5 GHz
GPU: Intel 965GM
RAM: 2GB
Dolphin Version: 3.5-0 (x86-64) & 4.0-0 (x86-64)

HP Pavilion g7-1338dx
CPU: Intel Core i3-2350M @ 2.3
GPU: Intel 2nd generation core family integrated graphics controller
RAM: 4GB
I don't have Dolphin installed on this computer because my hard drive died and I'm replacing it.

I have the 3.5 version installed because there are some games that the 4.0 version can't play (like Legend on Zelda: WindWaker and Super Smash Bros Melee). I'm mainly wanting to emulate Gamecube games. I haven't dumped any of my Wii discs yet.
You need to have 4.0.2/earlier to get support. And donĀ“t expect a lot from mobile i3 CPUs (very weak for Dolphin). Same for the other.
1st laptop : It's a miracle if Dolphin can run
2nd laptop : Poor performance
P.S : Come back when you have at least 700USD
So you mean a 2.3 GHz quad-core with 4 GB RAM isn't good enough? Pokemon Colosseum runs at 80% which I'm pretty happy with. I'm looking to play these games at the absolute lowest settings. 3.5 runs faster than 4.0 for the most part and plays WindWaker (although slow), which is why I use it. I think 4.0 is a regression.
2.3GHz Quad Core ? Where did you get that info ?
i3 is dual core with Hyperthreading (2 cores 4 threads)
Hyperthreading is useless with gaming
Integrated Sandy Bridge GPU has poor performance (Intel HD 3000) . Your 1st laptop's integrated GPU isn't supported , that why it can't run without issue
Furthermore , your i3 is pretty old . Don't expect Dolphin to run well with a mere 2.3GHz CPU , not even close
The recommended CPUs for Dolphin :
Desktop : Intel Core i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz
Laptop : Intel Core i7 4700MQ @ 3.2GHz (maximum turbo speed with 4 cores active) which is equivalent to i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz(desktop)
>I think 4.0 is a regression

This is why I hate most of the people on this forum. The devs spend all their free time fixing legitimate bugs and everyone still has the gall to complain about the resulting performance decrease on their shit hardware?
Don't bite my head off! I'm not complaining. I just wanted to know what performance I could expect from my hardware. I've tried a few of my games and Pokemon Colosseum seems to be the only one which is quite playable. I guess we'll just have to use overpowered computers to emulate 6th gen consoles, unless someone finds a way to implement static recompiling like Corn had.