Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Dolphin build slow.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just changed from using Dolphin 3.0-898 (From December 2012), to the new one just updated a few hours ago 4.0-1349.
I set the same exact settings as my previous Dolphin is set to and start up Mario Kart Wii, which i am now getting 20-25 fps with lots of distorted sound. The menu also slows to a crawl the longer i stay at the menu, i know with mario kart wii the menu will be sluggish as even when i use the previous version of dolphin, i drop from ~60+ fps down to ~30 fps until i get to the game and i go back up to 60+fps.

I have also switched from OpenGL to D3D but it provided little to not enough boost in the 4.0 updated dolphin, but the 3.0 dolphin is running literally 3x faster in every way, on multiple games that i tried with all settings maxed, i have never dropped below 50 fps.

I simply cant play games with a fast enough fps on 4.0 than i can with 3.0, even been switching the settings around.

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU
Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.20GHz 100 °F
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V LK (LGA1155) 63 °F

Graphics
E3D420VX (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc) 79 °F
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc) 67 °F

Any ideas to help?

MasterFiji

Have you tried to go to the most stable release? 4.0? Because some revisions can be slow and broken...
(04-04-2014, 12:45 AM)MasterFiji Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried to go to the most stable release? 4.0? Because some revisions can be slow and broken...

Yeah i had tried the stable versions too which give me the same issues. For now ill just stay with Dolphin 3.0
It is known and accepted that the newer builds are slower. They fix lots of bugs as a result. It's just the price of progress in some cases. In particular, it's slower on Nvidia hardware currently.
(04-04-2014, 01:55 AM)rokclimb15 Wrote: [ -> ]It is known and accepted that the newer builds are slower. They fix lots of bugs as a result. It's just the price of progress in some cases. In particular, it's slower on Nvidia hardware currently.
i figured that most likely was the case, just wasn't sure if the big drop in fps was abnormally more than expected.

What Nvidia card would expected to be running 4.0 smoothly, on average? I know it depends on each individual game too.
(04-04-2014, 02:00 AM)Gozmit Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-04-2014, 01:55 AM)rokclimb15 Wrote: [ -> ]It is known and accepted that the newer builds are slower. They fix lots of bugs as a result. It's just the price of progress in some cases. In particular, it's slower on Nvidia hardware currently.
i figured that most likely was the case, just wasn't sure if the big drop in fps was abnormally more than expected.

What Nvidia card would expected to be running 4.0 smoothly, on average? I know it depends on each individual game too.

CPU is what affects game speed, not your card (unless you're talking about IR/AA).
Build 4.0-1142 is the build before tev_fixes_new was implemented, which resulted in more accurate, but slightly slower, emulation.

Make sure under Windows Power Management Settings, you are set to high performance. In Nvidia Control Panel, under Manageme 3D Settings, make sure you have Dolphin set to use maximum power.

Check that you have the latest drivers installed for your CPU (Google Intel driver Update) and GPU, and installed optional Windows updates (not bing junk)
(04-04-2014, 04:40 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Build 4.0-1142 is the build before tev_fixes_new was implemented, which resulted in more accurate, but slightly slower, emulation.

Make sure under Windows Power Management Settings, you are set to high performance. In Nvidia Control Panel, under Manageme 3D Settings, make sure you have Dolphin set to use maximum power.

Check that you have the latest drivers installed for your CPU (Google Intel driver Update) and GPU, and installed optional Windows updates (not bing junk)

Yeah i have all setting and power settings set to maximum performance, and always keep all my drivers fully updated, that and dolphin only uses ~40% of my CPU, same CPU % as Dolphin 3.0 versions.

Ill try the 4.0-1142 build.

EDIT: 4.0-1142 build tested, and it ran just fine, as good as my 3.0 build
Just be warned, if you run into any bugs on that build, the only response you will get is upgrade to a newer revision.

Otherwise, happy gaming Smile