Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: is my rig going to cut it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey all, I'm in the process of buying parts for a gaming pc I'm going to build. I'm wondering if these specs will be good enough to play dolphin at a reasonable speed.

CPU: AMD FX-6300

Frequency: 3.5/4.1GHZ (Base/Overdrive)
Cores: 6
Cache: 6/8MB (L2/L3)

GFX: Radeon HD 7790

PCI-E 3.0 x16
1GB memory; 128-bit GDDR5 memory interface
1075 MHz core speed
6400 MHz effective memory speed

Thanks!
What games do you plan on playing?
Hint: Not many will run on an FX-6300, or at least not at an enjoyable speed.
(04-03-2014, 03:40 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]What games do you plan on playing?

mainly games like legend of zelda

(04-03-2014, 03:59 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]Hint: Not many will run on an FX-6300, or at least not at an enjoyable speed.

what kind of CPU would u recommend under 200$? im on sorta a budget
Well, you need to switch to Intel. To do so you need to buy a CPU AND motherboard.

I'll let everyone who knows Intel stuff tell you what to get, just remember that you can definitely do better with Intel on that budget.
(04-03-2014, 08:03 AM)GUY2911 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2014, 03:40 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]What games do you plan on playing?

(04-03-2014, 03:59 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]Hint: Not many will run on an FX-6300, or at least not at an enjoyable speed.

The complete series? You should specify the titles, not just the series.

About the CPU, the Pentium Haswell should be enough (if playing light to average games.)
(04-03-2014, 08:22 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2014, 08:03 AM)GUY2911 Wrote: [ -> ]

The complete series? You should specify the titles, not just the series.

About the CPU, the Pentium Haswell should be enough (if playing light to average games.)

I'm wanting to do the complete series, mainly the gamecube like zelda windwaker and twilight princess, I'm not too interested in the wii versions

(04-03-2014, 08:13 AM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]Well, you need to switch to Intel. To do so you need to buy a CPU AND motherboard.

I'll let everyone who knows Intel stuff tell you what to get, just remember that you can definitely do better with Intel on that budget.

Would an Intel Core i5-4570 do the job?
i5-4670K (note the "60" with K ending. This one is the most recommended for Dolphin. Some Zelda titles are very demanding (Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess).
Twilight princess is extremely demanding.

I second the 4670 motion, but, because of your budget, I'd go with the Xeon version if I were you. I don't know the model number of the Xeon that corresponds to the 4670, but someone who is Intel-ligent might be able to tell you. The Xeon version is less expensive, and has various "Xeon-only" features, but cannot be overclocked.

DJBarry, with a budget like that, I'd never recommend to get a 4670k. Unless it's magically less than $200 before tax and shipping in the United Capitalist States of Magic Pricing (which it wouldn't be after tax and shipping), he won't be able to afford it even before taking into account taxes and shipping.

Actually, now that I think about it, any variant or equivalent of the 4670 will be rather expensive on your budget. The 4570 looks like it's right-on BEFORE shipping and taxes, but it'll probably be over-budget afterwards, if US electronic taxes are even a quarter as ruthless as Canadian electronics taxes (can I get a 25% price increase on anything that has or is a power supply, on top of the pre-existing 14% increase for existing and the 5% tax for being an electronic device?*).

*= I don't know the actual figures, but it's pretty ridiculous.
Right, he is budget limited. Tongue But some of the Zelda titles are simply too demanding for any CPU (excluding Haswells).

My intention was more direct to explain him/her that, rather than buying it, for instance.
Pages: 1 2 3