Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Laptops for Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been thinking that I'm gonna need a computer that can stay with me on the go, and I was wondering that since all I really ever do is play dolphin and a few less demanding games, what laptops at the following price points would be great for dolphin: $500, $750, $1,000. The games I wish to play are demanding wii and gamecube games such as Twilight Princess, Smash Bros. Brawl, Monster Hunter Tri, etc. I understand that this program is CPU intensive, and I know little about mobile processors, so some outside help will be appreciated. Thanks!
A laptop with an i7-4700MQ/HQ will do fine for Dolphin. The HD 4600 that comes with it is good enough for 2x or 3x IR depending on how demanding the game is. If you want to get a dedicated card, look into a performance gaming laptop (they're going to be closer to $1000) with a dedicated GPU, meaning the CPU and GPU don't share a heatsink to prevent one from overheating and throttling the other.
I have an HP Envy 15t-j100 that has an i7 4700mq and it's perfect for dolphin. It costs around $650 but it's great.