Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 4670k vs 4770k
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Looking to make a change here, the question is, is there any reason the 4770k would perform worse on average in Dolphin for some reason? Would like to have the hyperthreading available for other uses(and it's going for $320 right now) but if that or some other thing would drop performance in Dolphin compared to the 4670k then I would just get that instead. Or if it is known that the 4770k either doesn't OC as well, or does not show at least the same per-clock gains in Dolphin as the other. Sorry if anything there didn't make sense.

One of the bigger reasons I went AMD in the first place is this Intel Insider business. Even if that sounds paranoid/stupid. Still a bit of a concern but oh well. I figured I'd just wait until Skylake because of the socket change but I haven't seen any decent info on that yet so it would be at least two years I guess.

An aside, thanks to magumagu for the zelda microcode changes under HLE.
Both perform almost the same, the only difference is that 4770K has more cores and is more expensive than 4670K.
Wrong, both 4670k and 4770k have 4 cores, the 4770k however has Hyper Threading, which will have no impact in Dolphin at all, but may be useful for other applications, though. If you're aiming at Dolphin only, then save some money for anything else (like a GPU, maybe) and get the 4670k...
In dolphin, if you overclock, the two CPUs will perform almost identically, with the exception that the i7's smidge of extra cache will give it a 1-4% edge. At stock clocks, the i7 will have a larger lead as it's clocked a little higher by default. They should both overclock as high (maybe slightly more for the i5, even, but that's speculation and I've yet to see it confirmed).

In heavily multi-threaded applications such as rendering, video editing and image processing (i.e. high-end content creation) the i7 will have a significant edge as hyperthreading allows the OS to schedule instructions more effectively for the CPU's ALUs. It only tends to be these few apps which benefit, and most people won't do them to a level where further investment is a good idea. Either way, the i5 will easily beat anything AMD have on offer, so it's not like you're getting a bad CPU in any way.
I'm aiming at Dolphin not only but mainly. Fairly important to me is the ability to record/encode video(of whatever) as well as possible so that's why hyperthreading, mostly. As far as the GPU, I can get at least 3xIR and depending on the game, 4xAA with this one. Last august it had the best price:performance under $250 as well as a sale+rebate+promo code. So I'm happy with it. I generally refrain from spending gobs on video cards as a rule. I have an OEM windows license so it might actually become easier to sell this whole and rebuild, never had to deal with MS on that one so no clue about that hassle. Then I'd get a different GPU anyway.

Thanks.
(03-29-2014, 01:46 PM)sk00p Wrote: [ -> ]*********ability to record/encode video(of whatever)***********

i7 4770K, ALL THE WAY Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Take it from me, I edit videos constantly and Dxtory puts out 4-5TB per week for me (well in a good week of recording)

I blame my addiction for 120fps recording lol, gotta get that ultra slow motion with twixtor
AnyOldName3 Wrote:In dolphin, if you overclock, the two CPUs will perform almost identically, with the exception that the i7's smidge of extra cache will give it a 1-4% edge.

That will probably be cancelled out by a 1-4% drop in performance from HT. HT reduces the effective L1D cache size and thus seems to hurt dolphins performance slightly. I expect the 4770K to either perform the same or very slightly slower even with the extra 2MB L3 cache.
I wondered about ^^that. And then I read a seemingly equal number of people think both that the i7 doesn't OC as well as the 5(one was that like 10% of chips can get a stable 4.6, no idea), and then vice-versa. Nothing helpful there.

Various statements I see say that between power consumption and heat that it wasn't worth getting one over like any Ivy Bridge, as though the performance was basically the same. But then somewhere on these forums I thought someone said haswell for some unknown reason does like 30% better than Ivy Bridge in Dolphin? So with that it wouldn't be worth going Ivy Bridge?
To paraphase Delroth, it just happens that Haswell is really good at running our shitty JIT code.
Only the shitty JIT code? Why not the mediocre or great JIT code as well? We need to know these things.
Pages: 1 2