Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Virtual Machine OS X question?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so I am sure this would be a first but anyways I have set up a virtual machine on my PC to emulate a mac using official mavericks from a friend who just bought a mac and my question is pretty simple is there any way to emulate dolphin(I can emulate others like gba, snes, etc but of course those aren't anywhere near as demanding like dolphin) or at least the starfield test game on it, the reason for this is because he(friend) wants to play some of my gamecube titles and maybe even dump some of his wii ones but since I don't have access to his mac 24/7 I was just looking for a way to test a few builds before going to his place set everything up instead of going there and have to do all the testing.

Any good or bad news would be appreciated, Thanks in advance
You mean to use Dolphin on the virtual Mac? You wouldn´t see the true performance on it since:

1- Emulating any OS is hugely demanding (depending on how did you set your VM, of course).

2- The "emulated" OS will use the same components (CPU, GPU) your current machine is using; thus it would limit a lot the posibility to -e.g. get full speed on Dolphin- if your machine isn´t pretty powerful.

It´s not that is impossible to do, it just doesn´t give any benefit at all (in this case, give you a solid idea of how Dolphin would perform in Mavericks) I.M.O.

EDIT: But, if what your friend wants to do is to try Dolphin, the official benchmark would be a good start.
These days VMWare has a pretty low overhead on everything, but most other things have a massive one.

Also, does your friend absolutely have to use OSX? If he could dual boot into windows or linux Dolphin would run faster and IIRC with fewer bugs.
(03-27-2014, 10:17 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]These days VMWare has a pretty low overhead on everything, but most other things have a massive one.

Also, does your friend absolutely have to use OSX? If he could dual boot into windows or linux Dolphin would run faster and IIRC with fewer bugs.

Well thing is he ain't the most tech savy and if something goes wrong with his mac than it would be a problem since it's also his school laptop anyways I know it will perform great on is mac and well my second question how about the boot camp on the Mac running Windows will that perform the same as if it were a real windows pc?

(03-27-2014, 09:58 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]You mean to use Dolphin on the virtual Mac? You wouldn´t see the true performance on it since:

1- Emulating any OS is hugely demanding (depending on how did you set your VM, of course).

2- The "emulated" OS will use the same components (CPU, GPU) your current machine is using; thus it would limit a lot the posibility to -e.g. get full speed on Dolphin- if your machine isn´t pretty powerful.

It´s not that is impossible to do, it just doesn´t give any benefit at all (in this case, give you a solid idea of how Dolphin would perform in Mavericks) I.M.O.

EDIT: But, if what your friend wants to do is to try Dolphin, the official benchmark would be a good start.

Well if it were like that my pc performs almost perfectly with none demanding GameCube and Wii games but I keep getting a bakened error when I get back to my machine I'll look for the log to see if anyone can help
Please play a virtual console game. PLEASE.

Computer emulating a Mac running Dolphin emulating a Wii emulating a console running a game.

GLORIOUS.
(03-27-2014, 09:24 PM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]Please play a virtual console game. PLEASE.

Computer emulating a Mac running Dolphin emulating a Wii emulating a console running a game.

GLORIOUS.

Oh sweet baby Jesus yes
Quote:how about the boot camp on the Mac running Windows will that perform the same as if it were a real windows pc?

Internally, a mac is just the same as any other computer, just more expensive and less powerful. It'll run fine, just as if it was on an equivalently spec'd windows machine.