Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Intel CPUs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Intel published some infos about the upcoming haswell refresh CPUs

No details are known but the general idea is that there will be two interesting Chips for Emulation:

- A Highend overclockers CPU "Devil's Canyon" with better thermal compound between the Die and the Heatspreader - so hopefully those CPUs will be better to overclock than the current Haswells
- Pentium Anniversary Edition, a budget unlocked Dualcore Haswell

I think the second CPU may be the perfect budget solution for Dolphin, as it will have two fast Haswell Cores which can be overclocked.

Both will come out around midyear 2014

Broadwell to be launched somewhere 2015

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-h...26326.html
Better thermal compound is the only change? I would likely end up taking the IHS off anyway, did that to my 3570K and got a nice drop in load temps.
Can you actually mount the cpu directly without a IHS?
Depending of the heatsink, you can I think...
Yes you can, but you need to have a good feeling of how much pressure is needed for good contact - so it's not as fool proof as with a heatspreader.
On some older CPUs like the Pentium3 or Athlon Thunderbird the heatsink was put direct ontop of the die.

The Intel Whitepaper also tells something about "improved packaging material" - maybe this will have some positive effect.
But we will see...
(03-25-2014, 05:43 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]Can you actually mount the cpu directly without a IHS?
Yup a CPU will work fine without an IHS as long as you don't break it removing the IHS.
I brought this up in the hardware discussion thread a few days ago: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ha...#pid316332

Kind of surprised it didn't get any response.

McNuggets Wrote:Better thermal compound is the only change? I would likely end up taking the IHS off anyway, did that to my 3570K and got a nice drop in load temps.

While this does work it's not the best possible solution. It's a band aid and it would be better to address the source of the problem.

Removing the IHS voids warranty, poses significant risk for fractures, requires more time/effort than most are willing to put in, can reduce effectiveness if the weight isn't perfectly balanced, and can reduce lifespan by increasing physical pressure (especially if the pressure isn't evenly distributed). For most it will work fine even long term but with devils canyon we get all the benefits you would get by delidding without any of the risk. So it's a better solution for those that haven't already purchased haswell and are planning to upgrade.

The packaging material has also been improved and there are rumors that the 9 series motherboards will support on board VRMs again. Both of which would further boost overclocking potential. If we get a chip that overclocks as well as sandy bridge with the IPC of haswell (which looks very likely at this point) for the same price then I will be VERY happy.

The new pentium chips also support quicksync and haswell-E has been announced with support for DDR4 and 8 core configurations. These will replace the ivy bridge-E based core i7 extreme cpus later this year.They will likely have both DDR3 and DDR4 motherboards available though to ease the transition.

Broadwell has been announced to have support iris pro in socketed unlocked versions. Which is very good news for dolphin users looking to skimp on a graphics card.
I've not actually heard of people being bottlenecked by Haswell's VRM. Won't most board end up with one no better than Intel's default?
AnyOldName3 Wrote:I've not actually heard of people being bottlenecked by Haswell's VRM.

How would you know?

The VRM generates a lot of heat. Putting it on die will inevitably raise cpu temps which will reduce your max overclock. There is also the concern of size constraints (it can't use up too much die size so cutbacks have to be made to the design) and EMI. We don't know how much those two factors effect its performance if at all but the reduction in heat alone guarantees some level of improvement.
That's actually a very good point. I've just seen people moaning about warmth and/or instability, and assuming it's the VRM, but not a single person had given a reason.