Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Slowdown and choppy Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Slowwwie

Hello together,

i want to play Newer super mario bros wii. I get choppy audio in every resolution, and the game stutters.

My pc is not the newest Smile

Core2Quad6600
GTX 460
2 GB (yes 2) Ram
Win7

Is my System just too slow or is it another problem?
Try the latest revision, it should be faster than 4.0. Additionally, are you running this game at stock clocks (no overclocking?) If so, your CPU really hasn't kept up with the pace of Dolphin's developments. 2.4GHz from a C2Q 6600 simply isn't going to cut it for many games, even lightweight ones like NSMB Wii. You're most likely being bottlenecked by your CPU, hence the slowdowns and the choppy audio.

The latest development revisions have time-stretching that changes the audio according to the speed you're emulating the actual game, so it won't stutter or sound choppy. On top of that, the latest development revisions also run faster than 4.0 thanks to a handful of speedups. Just be careful of OpenGL on Nvidia hardware; its performance on higher IRs is spotty at the moment. You may have to go to D3D in that case; see which one is better for you.

Latest dev builds here: https://dolphin-emu.org/download

Slowwwie

(03-24-2014, 05:50 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Try the latest revision, it should be faster than 4.0. Additionally, are you running this game at stock clocks (no overclocking?) If so, your CPU really hasn't kept up with the pace of Dolphin's developments. 2.4GHz from a C2Q 6600 simply isn't going to cut it for many games, even lightweight ones like NSMB Wii. You're most likely being bottlenecked by your CPU, hence the slowdowns and the choppy audio.

The latest development revisions have time-stretching that changes the audio according to the speed you're emulating the actual game, so it won't stutter or sound choppy. On top of that, the latest development revisions also run faster than 4.0 thanks to a handful of speedups. Just be careful of OpenGL on Nvidia hardware; its performance on higher IRs is spotty at the moment. You may have to go to D3D in that case; see which one is better for you.

Latest dev builds here: https://dolphin-emu.org/download

OK, i try the latest version then. By the way, i am around 50-55 FpS. Are the FpS in Dolphin calculated different from other methods?
50 FpS should be smooth ...
If you're running an NTSC version of the game, 50 FPS is not fullspeed (60 is), so you will get visual lag. PAL versions of the game run 50 FPS for fullspeed. If you have a PAL version of the game and you have PAL60 mode enabled, 60 FPS will now be the target framerate for fullspeed.

If you're expecting console games to act like PC games (where the FPS can fluctuate and the image will still look smooth) that's not how many consoles games are programmed (in fact, I can only recall one example where a GC game actually dynamically changed its FPS like a PC game). Console games have set framerates they need to run at, so if you're not emulating it at that speed, it's not going to look smooth.

Slowwwie

(03-24-2014, 06:31 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]If you're running an NTSC version of the game, 50 FPS is not fullspeed (60 is), so you will get visual lag. PAL versions of the game run 50 FPS for fullspeed. If you have a PAL version of the game and you have PAL60 mode enabled, 60 FPS will now be the target framerate for fullspeed.

If you're expecting console games to act like PC games (where the FPS can fluctuate and the image will still look smooth) that's not how many consoles games are programmed (in fact, I can only recall one example where a GC game actually dynamically changed its FPS like a PC game). Console games have set framerates they need to run at, so if you're not emulating it at that speed, it's not going to look smooth.

Ok, understood. Wiiware games are stuttering too - thats sad, cause in the CPU benchlist my cpu is listed under "most games should run smooth" ...
I don't know which thread you're talking about, but that info is outdated and/or wrong. It may have been true 2-3 years ago, but Dolphin's hardware requirements have changed. If you're looking at NaturalViolence's CPU hierarchy thread, the organization of CPU ranks has been pointed out to be inaccurate in a range of cases and he hasn't updated it in a while either.

Slowwwie

Ok, to answer myself and maybe others:

The problem clearly was / is the CPU Power.
I overclocked my q6600 to 3100 MHZ, and now i can play WiiWare without slowdowns and Mario nearly 100 % smooth.

Time for a CPU upgrade Smile