Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best non-gaming laptop for Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone, it's been a while since I visit Dolphin's forums glad to see you all again. Basically here's the deal: I'm graduating in a few months and am going to move out for university, as one of my graduation gifts I'm getting a laptop for university work and the like. Now I have my desktop which is able to run most games at full speed on Dolphin but I would also like to be able to play on the go, I will be moving to a cold area so I don;t think overheating will be AS much of a problem, tell me your opinions and suggestions, thank you all
Well, what's your budget? Really, I can recommend you a $4000 workplace laptop, but I'm almost certain that's not in your budget.
I would say about 600-700 dollars I think
Quote:I will be moving to a cold area so I don;t think overheating will be AS much of a problem
Unless your cold aree is north pole where Mr Santa live .... (-10C or even harder than that)
I live in Tokyo . It's usually -2C in winter here and i'm sure it won't help you in case of overheating (Don't you use space heater or air conditioning in your room ? lol )
Haha well I say hat because as far as I know laptops tend to have many more overheating problems than desktops as far as Dolphin is concerned, right now I live in a hot area but my desktop's temp while running Dolphin are around 50-59C with minimal OC (3.6 to 3.8) and stock fan
A non gaming laptop that has a decent CPU + a decent discrete GPU usually hit 80-90C or even 99C at full load and may god save you haha
The best route for non gaming laptop would be a strongest CPU + decent integrated GPU . Integrated GPU power consumption is only a few wattage (like 1->5W) compared to 35->100W from dedicated GPU . As a result , a laptop like that only hit 50-60C at full load
i7 4700MQ + Intel HD 4600 is great choice for 2.5xIR (1600x1320) . While GPU isn't that great , the CPU is fast enough to make it up for GPU. This is confirmed by one member of our community
i7 4700MQ is on par with i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz , it's really fast you know ....
You can find some Toshiba notebook at that price range
Thanks a lot I'll look into that, is it possible you could give me a link so I know what brand and model to look for?