Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Sudden drop in performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey everyone. First off, I would like to thank the dev team for putting so much great work into this emulator. Unfortunately, I've run into a pretty big issue. I've been using dolphin since the late Jurassic period and have never had any unexpected issues really. That is, until 4.x. I understand that the new TEV changes have greatly reduced graphical issues and I have to say it's definitely noticeable! Unfortunately, I can't play any games at a decent frame rate. Previous to these updates, I was getting 120fps in most gamecube games. Now I can't get a steady 30. Every game I've tried is unplayable because of the lag. I know the update was supposed to cause around a 5%drop in performance, but this is a 75% drop... Any help? Thanks!
What is your GPU, what are your graphics drivers, and what graphics backend are you running with what internal? And what game are you trying to play, and what is the Dolphin revision you are trying?

Answer every question. We need to know this stuff to help.
(03-22-2014, 12:19 PM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]What is your GPU, what are your graphics drivers, and what graphics backend are you running with what internal? And what game are you trying to play, and what is the Dolphin revision you are trying?

Answer every question. We need to know this stuff to help.

Sorry duh. I should've put that in the first post. I'm running a GTX 670 4GB card with an FX-8350. Newest drivers. I've tried both D3D and OpenGL, both with identical results. Internal resolution at 3x, but all resolutions perform roughly the same. I've tried a few games: Smash bros brawl/melee, Windwaker, super mario sunshine and skyward sword. All of which perform about the same and are unplayable. I'm using the 4.0.2 version that is downloadable on the front page. The dolphin window says 4.0-1244. Thanks
Melee and Brawl weren't affected at all by the TFN merge; so it seems something else is going on here.
(03-22-2014, 01:29 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Melee and Brawl weren't affected at all by the TFN merge; so it seems something else is going on here.

Well that's unfortunate... Could my dumps be corrupted? They worked fine before though.
It could be an odd reaction to the TFN merge; I just know I didn't lose any performance on those games in particular. Your computer isn't quite as fast as mine, but at the same time i think you should be able to run Melee well above full speed.
(03-22-2014, 02:45 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]It could be an odd reaction to the TFN merge; I just know I didn't lose any performance on those games in particular. Your computer isn't quite as fast as mine, but at the same time i think you should be able to run Melee well above full speed.

Yeah it's still pretty powerful though and ran melee at like 120 no problem at one point. That goes for most games too. Any idea on how to fix these odd reactions?
Sorry to bump, but I can't play anything anymore. Every game i try is unplayable at any setting. I've reinstalled dolphin multiple times and re ripped a couple games to no avail. Does anyone know what's going on?
Make sure your CPU is not throttling (check its temps with a program like CoreTemp),
If reducing IR doesn't increase performance, you're probably looking at a CPU constraint. DJBarry's suggestion is good. Could you also post your full settings? Maybe there's a limit FPS that got checked somehow?
Pages: 1 2 3