Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: SMG2 is really that taxing? (specs inside)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since i built my new computer i just wasnt able to get it running full speed in a stable fashion....

Sure i get 61fps most of the time but those 55, 58 fps drops are enough to make the sound glitch and its quite annoying

Even when using HLE and seeing 60FPS on the top corner, it still seems to stutter sometimes... ? (not the sound, the frames itself, you can feel is not 100% smooth sometimes)

That makes any sense?

My specs are

I5 3570k @ 4.3Ghz
Windows 7 x64
8Gb Ram
GTX 660 (770 in one week)

Im running 1080p with 3x IR and all the optimal settings people are tired of reading about here (vextex enabled, openGL etc etc)

Trying with a lot of stable builds + devs one

I can play Thief 1080p MAX settings without any issue smooth as Fu$& but not SMG2

I know dolphin is CPU intensive but i thought a i5 3570k 4.3Ghz should be able to run 60fps all the time

I even tried lowering the resolution to 1366x768 and 1x IR and still those drops (55, 57)

So i guess my soon-to-be GTX 770 would not make any diff for this issue....

Anyone with comparable specs running the game locked at 60fps all the time?

Screenshot so there is no doubt, i was trying with HLE

[Image: vTDys2Y.jpg]
I was going to make a response to you, but honestly if you believe playing Thief at 1080p matters at all, it's not worth my time to correct you. Maybe another forum goer feels like going through the song and dance, but for now, just know that there is absolutely no comparison between native PC games and emulators.
Overclock more if you want more fps....it's simple really.
Went to 4.5Ghz and saw really no diff from OpenGL

Trying Direct3d9 i was able to get almost 100% of the time locked 60

Just played the first boulder stage and finish with LLE enabled (thread enabled) with no stutter whatsoever

Strangely enough even when its 60fps sometimes you can see it stutter somehow (video, audio is perfect), i cant explain will try to record with a cam later

Well, good enough i guess Smile

(03-20-2014, 04:30 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]I was going to make a response to you, but honestly if you believe playing Thief at 1080p matters at all, it's not worth my time to correct you. Maybe another forum goer feels like going through the song and dance, but for now, just know that there is absolutely no comparison between native PC games and emulators.

I did not even know why i commented on thief, obviousl a pc game is way heavier on GPU side then CPU, while moderns emulators like dolphin and PCSX2 rely way more on CPU
Stop using an old Dolphin version and start using the most recent version from dolphin-emu.org.
(03-20-2014, 06:14 PM)delroth Wrote: [ -> ]Stop using an old Dolphin version and start using the most recent version from dolphin-emu.org.

As stated on the first post i tried with the most stable and most recent dev build already
Pacote-san: Alright, it's fine. I get a little snippy with the comparison to PC games, as long as you understand the difference, there's no problem.

Anyway, Mario Galaxy 2 is very taxing; it really pushes the GPU thread in Dolphin hard. There's not really much you can do except Overclock your CPU, and use OpenGL prior to 4.0-1192; that'll give you the best performance. It's just much faster in this particular game on NVIDIA GPUs due to all of the enhancements to the backend degasus has given it, and this was one of the games he worked with.
Well, thats why those "You gotta overclock MORE" really doesnt help in some cases....

I found out that the issue was indeed the configuration

OpenGL even with vertex enabled, etc i had 60fps on the top corner but a lot of micro stuttering , and drops in some areas

After configuring D3D9, 1080p 3x IR, disabled MMU on the game properties, Vsync ON, and per pixel lighting disabled, LLE + LLE on thread, im playing for the past few hours without any sort of stuttering or frame drop

Went back to 4.3Ghz (cause on this I5 i can go 4.3 with stock vcore) and same performance

If i try to change to OpenGL it really doesn even compare with the smoothness i get

Dont know if its something with me alone since i read everyone shouting about GO OPENGL+VERTEX! ITS BETTER, but for my rig the Dx9 nailed it!

Using the latest STABLE release (Dolphin 4.0.2)

Tried the newest one (4.0-1242) and neither using openGL (there is no vertex option anymore on the gfx options?) or direc3d got me any good result... stuttering sound all arond and frames dropping a lot!

I can make a video (with a camera cause i have no capture card for that) if this is any useful for anyone, but stable release + the configs i posted above were enough to get me playing SMG2 100% rock solid

Thanks for those who helped
I use dolphin-master-4.0-1146-x64 with my specs below and SMG2 plays fine. Best in OpenGL. Make sure you are using latest 335 driver.
Will try this release mas as i said, from the stable release its not playing good, its playing PERFECT, no stutter or drops whatsoever and i played quite a few hours
Pages: 1 2