Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A couple ?'s about Downgrading CPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Basically, I have an i5-2500k, and I feel the only thing I really actually use/need it for is Dolphin, and maybe Vegas, but I'm pretty sure AMD CPU's are just as good in Vegas. I've been debating selling this for a while (and unfortunately, it's lost some value because of that) If you couldn't tell, I have a motherboard with an FX-4350 in it just sitting around, and honestly I'm pretty sure I'd barely notice a difference. My question is, how big of an impact would it make on my Dolphin experience? I'm not sure I play too many intensive games except maybe a few, but shouldn't I still be able to play a lot if not all of them at full speed? My other specs are in my signature, and here's a list of games I have dumped for Dolphin for performance questions, like if certain games would be impacted, if any.
Code:
Animal Crossing: City Folk
Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg
Harvest Moon: Animal Parade
Cartoon Network: Punchtime Explosion XL
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Fortune Street
Four Swords Adventure
Fragile Dreams
Suzumiya Haruhi No Gekidou
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
Kirby Air Ride
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Mario Party 9
Mario Sports Mix
Mario Strikers Charged Football
Mario Kart Wii
Mary Kate and Ashley: Sweet 16 (lmao)
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10
Metroid: Other M
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Monster Hunter Tri
Muramasa
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Pokemon Colosseum
Pokemon XD
Punch-Out!!
Rune Factory: Frontier
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody (Wii version)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Riders
Sonic Riders Zero Gravity
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Colors
Soul Calibur 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Paper Mario
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Ultimate All-Stars
The Last Story
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
Viewtiful Joe
Wario-Land: Shake It!
Wreck-It Ralph
Xenoblade Chronicles

Welp, I guess I didn't realize how many games I had, lols. I'm sure some of them people aren't too sure about either, which is totally fine.
I think your current CPU will allow playing SMG and SMG2, as well as LoZ: TP and SS, and Xenoblade at reasonable settings while the AMD CPU probably will not. The IPC of that CPU is significantly lower than your 2500k. Do you have it overclocked?

Edit: yes, you do. Sell the AMD gear, I say.
Yeah, if you downgrade to the other CPU, your performance is going to go down the drain. Honestly, because the CPU market is so weird, you should probably just sell the AMD processor.

You're going to lose a lot of general performance going from a really good Intel Processor to a mediocre AMD one. But, if you need the money, I'm not sure that matters.
Ness Wrote:but I'm pretty sure AMD CPU's are just as good in Vegas

No. Especially not in your case. Expect roughly a 1/3 drop in performance in all applications including dolphin if you downgrade. I would sell the AMD gear instead like rokclimb suggested.