Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: r7 260x vs GT 650m
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

MarkieG84

Hi all. I am wondering if anybody can shed some light on why my mid 2012 non retina MacBook Pro can equal the performance of my dedicated gaming PC in 4.0.2 for windows x64.

I am running bootcamp with Windows 7 on my Mac, which features a 2.3 GHz i7 (3615QM) and a GeForce GT 650M with 512 MB GDDR5 and using the DirectX 11 backend.

My PC (xps 8700) runs Windows 8, has a Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz, and a Gigabyte r7 260x with 1gb (GV-R726XOC-1GD). For this setup I get the best performance in open gl for some reason.

I am testing with Skyward Sword, and on both setups I can achieve 2x ir and 2x aa. It is puzzling to me that the Mac with 650m can beat the xps with r7 260x under DirectX. The r7 260x is way faster in open gl, but the 650m matches that performance in DirectX.

FYI the r7 260x is a refresh of the HD 7790. Both systems are all up to date with drivers. Can anyone tell me why my PC is not performing well with DirectX 11?

MarkieG84

Update:

I tried the latest 4.0-1234 build with my r7 260x, and performance is increased a bit in both open gl and directx, but now there are glitches in the opening scene of Skyward Sword. There is a square of orange tint covering the bottom left corner of the screen in both backends, and in open gl the clouds have crazy orange artifacts all over them. I have only noticed it during the cloud scene. Anyways looks like things are being done for performance. I hope the devs can work it out cause I would really like to be able to play this game with 3x ir with 4x aa on this video card. At least in 4.0.2 I can get away with 2x ir 2x aa with no glitches in open gl. That really is amazing, just would love it even more with better optimization.

Later on I'm going to test the new build on the Macbook.
AMD cards tend to be faster for Dolphin than NVIDIA cards now because they're faster at Integers.
Ever since the merge of tev_fixes_new, Dolphin has relied on integers to fix stuff that was broken before. OpenGL is more affected by that then D3D11

MarkieG84

(03-19-2014, 04:10 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]AMD cards tend to be faster for Dolphin than NVIDIA cards now because they're faster at Integers.
Ever since the merge of tev_fixes_new, Dolphin has relied on integers to fix stuff that was broken before. OpenGL is more affected by that then D3D11

Yes, in OpenGL my AMD card is faster than my generally way weaker nVidia, but in DirectX my little nVidia beats the big AMD card. My AMD card beats the nVidia in every possible spec, so my logic says there is something about the AMD DirectX drivers that is not working well with Dolphin. Does anyone else have systems with AMD and nVidia to compare?