Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: trying to overclock so I can run games in dolphin 4.0.2 x64
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

mill1rbt2

Operating System: windows 8 x64
Processor/CPU: AMD FX vishera 6300 unlocked 3.5ghz overclocked at 3.7ghz right now
Video Card/GPU: ATI radeon HD 6670 1 or 2gb I believe
Memory/RAM: not sure of brand name 8gb of ram DDR3
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 4.0.2 x64

I'm trying accomplish a big well kinda big overclock that's good and will not cause any problem's 4.5ghz to be exact or more maybe....when I run wwe 13 the menu's are at 60 fps and drop to 50 and 47 sometime's but when going through the wrestler entrance's the fps drop's to 16 fps through 20 fps and during the match the fps is between 29 fps and 34 fps and the game lag's horrible i attached a picture of my voltage right now taken from amd overdrive and hopefully someone can help me.
The WWE games are some of the most intense CPU hogs in Dolphin. You need an overclocked i5 to run those games.

Overclock more, and try to reach that 4.5 ghz

mill1rbt2

what do you think I should change the voltage settings to? what should I do to accomplish a 4.5ghz overclock? i'm not the best overclocker and when I tried to overclock to 4.5ghz in the bios the pc shutdown then reset to 3.5ghz or I had to underclock back to 3.5 because of blue screen's..should I set the voltage up or down? maybe I could go into my bios and then write the setting's down?
bro whoaaaa there you need to be more careful or you'll lose your whole PC. do yourself a favor and go do 3 hours of research on overclocking cpus.
hint: search engines find info online fast.
From what little I know, you'd want to increase the voltage, as that increases the clockspeed your CPU can stay stable on, but it also increases the temperature drastically, so don't do it unless your cooling can handle it. (Disclaimer: I haven't overclocked any CPUs myself. At least, not yet.)

If you don't want to do insane shit with your CPU, replace it with an i5-4670K and watch it run the game flawlessly at stock clocks. (Well, probably. I don't have a 4670K or this shit game.)
If you raise your voltage then your CPU will also age more quickly. AMD's sort of known to set their stock voltage to a height that will sort of make your chip age insanely fast (my Athlon II had an estimated lifespan of ~5 years on stock voltage, and I've already used it for 3, but it has the age of 4 because I increased the voltage for a bit), so, unless you have the money to replace it when you are unstable at stock in a year or so, do not raise the voltage above stock. In fact, I'd recommend finding the lowest voltage you can that is stable for a moderate overclock.

Also, just because nobody brought it up,

DO NOT OVERCLOCK IN LEAPS. Slowly overclock. DO NOT set the clock at your target and hope to get it first try. Work up to it. Also, DO NOT EVER try to get someone to tell you what to set your voltage to. EACH PERSON'S CPU IS UNIQUE, AND TAKES DIFFERENT VOLTAGES FOR DIFFERENT STABLES. You need to figure out your voltages for yourself.
(03-18-2014, 06:30 AM)NathanielRH Wrote: [ -> ]bro whoaaaa there you need to be more careful or you'll lose your whole PC. do yourself a favor and go do 3 hours of research on overclocking cpus.
hint: search engines find info online fast.

Agreed. I did a weeks worth of research before O/C'ing my 4670k. Bought an h100i and didn't touch the clock until I knew what did what.

mill1rbt2

sorry for the late reply and thank's for all the help as I did some more research I learned more as I saw in one of the post's above cooling should be good which I think it is...for some reason I think one of my 12 volt rails on my power supply has 13 amps and the other one has 8 amps....I hope I can get this 4.5ghz overclock because it look's like I will need it and maybe sometime I could change the power supply and add some thermal compound for more power toward overclocking right now I have one other psu but that's it.
(03-18-2014, 02:23 PM)mill1rbt2 Wrote: [ -> ]I think one of my 12 volt rails on my power supply has 13 amps and the other one has 8 amps

Wait, can you get the power supply model for me? I have a hunch that you SHOULD NOT overclock with that power supply, judging by the low-power 12v rails and the inconsistency between them.

mill1rbt2

kinkinkijkin it is an allied branded 300 watt power supply and I had looked at the text printed on it the other day and it said +12v1 13amps and I think +12v2 has 8 amps....on newegg.com the spec's for this apex allied 300 watt atx power supply say the +12 volt rail has 15 amps
Pages: 1 2