Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can't link gba to gamecube
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had this problem with Pokemon XD and Pokemon Colosseum some years ago, and am now having it again with Path of Radiance. I'm currently using VBA-M 1.8.0 SVN 1229 and Dolphin 4.0-1093. VBA-M, after connecting to the gamecube, runs at like 5% speed. The gamecube game attempts to connect, but then says an error occurred with the link.

VBA and Dolphin can run, unlinked, side by side absolutely fine, the slow down only occurs when I try to link them. VBA can also connect to a second instance of VBA with no considerable amount of extra CPU usage. Also note that I'm only using around 40% of my processor when trying to link path of radiance and VBA, so I don't think the issue is me straining my hardware.

specs are nvidia geforce 560ti, i5 2500k, and 8gb of ram. Windows 8 x64.

And not relevant to my problem, but what I was actually trying to do with path of radiance was possible to do through action replay codes
Not all games work with the current implementation. From what we can tell, the issues are on VBA's side, but there is an active issue on it and it is being worked on from Dolphin's side, at least.
(03-16-2014, 01:57 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Not all games work with the current implementation. From what we can tell, the issues are on VBA's side, but there is an active issue on it and it is being worked on from Dolphin's side, at least.

Is there a GBA emulator that does work?
(03-16-2014, 01:59 PM)Forblaze Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a GBA emulator that does work?

VBAM (and some other emus that use its codebase) are the only ones implementing that functionality, as far as I know. As an emulator programmer myself with plans to work on my own GBA emulator, this is an area of much interest to me. Don't take that for "I promise this will happen eventually" however. Talk is cheap, and I've yet to dig into emulating the GBA or its JOYBUS functionality. It's a challenge I'd like to overcome, nevertheless.
Confirmed: Emulator for this from Shonumi
I am using VBAM but I still can't get it to work, even after following all the steps found in a tutorial on this forum. Could I be missing something? I got the BIOS and everything, set controller port four in gc settings to GBA, run the game and VBAM, those settings to make a connection with gc, everthing what is said there.
I'm saying not all games will work no matter what you do. The only game I've gotten to work "right" is Four Swords Adventures.

It's been reported that Metroid Prime also works right. Sonic Adventure 1/2 work very slowly (1 fps) Nintendo Puzzle Collection has a FPS desync (can't run both GBA and Dolphin full speed at the same time) and many others don't work at all. Crystal Chronicles needs a VBA-M savestate to function properly, and even then it can disconnect; which should tell you that this is definitely not a complete feature.
Well, thanks for the info guys.

Thanks for volunteering to get this working Shonumi. I'll check back in a few weeks to see how close you are to being done.
Few weeks? Try the end of the year :p

I still have to roll through GBC emulation (which really isn't that hard) before I start working on GBA emulation. Right now I'm only doing preliminary work on emulating its ARM CPU. The goal is to finish GB/GBC emulation, then move onto the GBA, and eventually the DS, but that's over a couple of years. Still, it's not like I won't give it a try, if not now then in the future.