Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Difference between i5 4670k and I7 4770 k
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
HI everybody and sorry for my English.I have a question. There is a difference between i5 4670k and I7 4770 k about the performance of Dolphin (fps,ecc). I would to play with high resolution, AA very high,Af, ecc and i have a geforce 770 gtx 4gb. How many fps i can earn with I7 4770k compared to i5 4670k ?. Thank you
With i5 4670k Dolphin will have the same performance of i7 4770k because it's uses around 3 cores only. The main difference between these two processors is the Hyper Threading mode in the i7, which may improve performance in other applications, but not Dolphin...
Yes, just get the i5 instead, the frame gain is too little in comparison to price.
If any
If you clock the i5 4670k to 3.5GHz you get the exact same performance.
Maybe, the extra cache may or may not help
Differences:

i7 have a major IMC (Integrated memory controller) - EFBtoRAM speedup?
8MB Cache L3.
8 Threads.

Salu2 - Darkness Knight
I don't know what a "major IMC" is but I can tell you that all i7 and i5 cpus have the exact same IMCs. You can expect the i7 to be 10% faster at the most due to the larger cache and higher clock rate. 5% with overclocking since the clock rate advantage goes away (they both scale to 4.3GHz equally well). Hardly worth a nearly $100 increase in price.

Timmy-P7

It won't give you any difference for a gaming build. For other intensive stuff, yeah, you'd want to take the i7 over the i5, but other than that, you'd be better off with the i5, then overclock when necessary.
Well, it MIGHT be useful for a gaming build if you're playing an "AMD-optimized" game like one of the Battlefield games, or are recording footage, or want to play the horribly-unoptimized crapfest of slowdowns called Planetside 2, but not elsewise. Okay, MAYBE if you don't have an NVidia card and want to use CPU-based PhysX in one of the extremely few games that uses it, but that's it.

So, unless you're doing something that requires more cores, go with the 4670k.
Pages: 1 2