Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: choppy gameplay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi I installed dolphin on my brand new PC the other day. I start Wind Waker . The menu and intro load fine and smooth, but as soon as I get to actual gameplay, the game gets incredibly choppy , the FPS drops to about 10 or so and the game is pretty much unplayable. Same thing happens when I try other GC games. I haven't tried wii games yet. Does anyone know what to do? I'd like to play games smoothly , if possible or at least gc games, are there any settings I have to configure and how ? I usualy leave them on default , but I did mess with them to see if it changed anything , except it didnt.Is there anything to do about it ?
My full PC specs are :
Intel i7-3630QM CPU clocked at 2.4ghz.
8.00 gigabites of RAM
The CPU is x64, running Windows 8.
Graphics card: Nvidia GEFORCE 740M
Screenshot of settings?
Firstly, try checking your temps, most likely your CPU is overheating and the clock rate has automatically dropped. Also make sure your laptop is using the deicated GPU and not the integrated Intel.
I just use the default settings as I am new to dolphin. How do I use the dedicated GPU instead of the integrated one ? I'm actually using a laptop , does it matter? I thought the choppy gameplay is because of my 2.4ghz internal clock , but i'm not sure . If that's the case , I will not overclock it as I dont want to breaik my pc. Does anyone know if my computer is even capable of running dolphin smoothly? I would've liked to play wii and gc games on the go and maybe in hd, but if my hardware is not good enough, I will just have to use my wii.Thank for any response.
You can't overclock a locked multiplier CPU....
But there is Intel Turbo Boost , google is your friend
Btw , Dolphin is a dual core application . For Dolphin , get the fastest performance per core CPU (prefers : i5 4670k + MSI Z87 G45 for desktop and i7 4700MQ for laptop)
Latest Haswell i5/i7 4xxx is 30% faster than i5/i7 3xxx in Dolphin
Follow every step in performance guide to max out your laptop as possible ( as long as it not overheat)
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide
(04-18-2014, 01:51 AM)casualgeek Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know if my computer is even capable of running dolphin smoothly? I would've liked to play wii and gc games on the go and maybe in hd, but if my hardware is not good enough, I will just have to use my wii

You have to tell us which games you've been planning to play
I'm plannig on playing games like zelda ww, super mario galaxy 2, skyward sword and maybe my copy of metroid prime trilogy ( its real hard for me to find places to get iso without risking to get viruses or torrent that take days to load) . I tried stuff like homebrew on wii but for some reason it will not let me rip games... Anyway ,dolphin ran smoothly thursday afternoon with windwaker and I don't know what I f***ed up because now it's still choppy. And direct X11 will not work for some reason.
I'm not reporting you because you've tried to get your images from homebrew, but technically I should just for hinting that you may be downloading things. We can only support people who've got their rips through homebrew of Rawdump/Friidump etc.

For homebrew, it should be as simple as putting Cleanrip on an SD card, booting it through a hack or the homebrew channel, and pressing next a few times. There's not much that can go wrong.
Thin ice. You only said that downloading games is hard but haven't said anything about downloading games yourself. As AON3 said, we don't allow people to talk about downloading games at all. In actuality, only a handful of countries actually legally permit downloading media like that btw (hint: the US is not one). Here, you have to make a copy from your own disc like AON3 mentioned above. Consider this a verbal warning to get your games the right way. Our banning policy is pretty much zero-tolerance.
I finnaly got gamecube games to work , thank you for your advice.